Thermolife | ThermoLife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Supreme Leader

Default Chinese Medicine - Weight Loss, Sports and Health Benefits w/KimJong-il

Starting a new blog....as I'm researching Chinese medicine I will post random stuff within the topic here.

Will start with this youtube video, where Americans are starting to visit a hospital in China for successful weight loss.

YouTube - Chinese Medicine Helps with Weight Loss

I remember about a decade ago I took a Chinese formula that removes dampness in the spleen and transforms phlegm. While I took it, along with my diet and training I definitely saw a reduction in bodyfat within a 2 month period.

Its really more of a cold medicine, but my friend who is an acupuncturists and studies Chinese Medicine insisted that this would help me, and it definitely did. Dunno why I havent used it again for so long, but Id definitely looking to use it some time along with western supplements.

Product Description

Er Chen Wan
(Phlegm/Dampness Relief)

Chen Pi (Pericarpium Citri Reticulatae) 32.30%
Ban Xia (Rhizoma Pinelliae) 32.30%
Fu Ling (Poria cocos) 19.40%
Gan Cao (Radix Glycyrrhizae) 10.00%
Sheng Jiang (Rhizoma Zingiberis Recens) 6.00%

Action and Indication: Dissolving phlegm spleen, damp, regulating excessive phlegm congestion in the stomach, lungs or face, symptoms caused by food retention in the stomach; nausea abdominal fullness, dizziness, vertigo, alcoholic hangover.

Edit:Just ran into this youtube video, and this Chinese Dr. speaks about phlegm, and how there are different levels of mucous that we are not aware of.
YouTube - Lose Weight safe & Easy-Chinese Herbs Dr. Tsoi 203-249-0115

Also found other information on Plegm, Dampness and Chinese Medicine here:
Phlegm, Dampness and Chinese Medicine

Here explains TCM and obesity: ActiveHerb's Guide: Chinese Herbs and Medicines for Weight Loss
Quote:
As obesity becomes epidemic, people turned to TCM for herbal remedies that may control weight or lose weight. In the theory of TCM, obesity is mostly due to the accumulation of Dampness and Phlegm. Dampness may be understood as water retention whereas Phlegm is not limited to its common meaning but also includes the accumulation of unwanted products (like an excess of fat and food residues) from metabolism of the body. The Dampness and Phlegm occur when the process of food intake, digestion, adsorption and transportation is not balanced. For example, one eats too much; the transportation function is poor. Therefore, eliminating phlegm and expelling dampness has been recognized as a main strategy in Chinese medicines to lose weight and has achieved satisfactory results.

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Speaker View Post

Stick around its going to be one hell of a shit show.

JUSTICE IS COMING....

Last edited by SupaNatural; 01-05-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 PM

Very cool man, looking forward to what you bring to the table!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Supreme Leader

One of the most popular TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) for Chinese athletes is Dalishen Oral Liquid

Dalishen Oral Liquid = mainly of seal penis and testes

This is kinda sad...and I dont think Ill use it because I do like animals and many seals are being slaughtered for the purpose and they are endangered, but I will still cover it as it is relevant in my topic.
Seals killed for penis and testes to make Chinese performance enhancers - National Green Living | Examiner.com

----------------------------------

Seals Penis and Testes are considered a kidney yang tonic. Traditionally it is used as a male tonic to help with impotency problems.

Seal testicles, dog penis, seahorse, and dear antlers are all used to give a boost in sexual vitality in TCM. Keep in mind that in TCM they dont just prescribe medicine, but also lifestyle changes are essential as well. With libido/impotence issues they would also advise to reduce the amount of ejaculations in any given week, especially as your age increases (prevention measures too) and ejaculations deplete "Jing"
which refers to our overall "essence" specifically for Kidney essence.

Jing not only is depleted by ejaculation, but everyday activities, life stress, working stress and especially training stress may also deplete Jing, although ejaculation would put the biggest strain on Jing.

Now the issue is why do Chinese athletes consume seal penis/testes? Heavy physical training and over training puts strain on Jing, therefore depletes it. I would say the actions of seal penis and testes is as a kidney yang tonic and also restoring Jin....but that's me using bro-science as I don't have an unlimited english source of information to go buy, plus my very rookie knowledge of TCM. So if stress depletes Jing, and in TCM prescribe Seals Penis for impotency, and both ejaculation and stressful training deplete Jing, it makes sense to me why athletes are taking Dalishen Oral Liquid for performance benefits.

It looks like keeping a strong Jing boosts athletic performance, and keeping it that way is good for the long run for long term successful training performance and especially for preventative measures on over-training. Also, on another note, over-ejaculation is bad for training.

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM

Looks promising. Let's start marketing it as the next big weightloss supplement

BE all you can BE (Bio Pro and EBOL):
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post513792193
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Supreme Leader

Is TCM a Pseudoscience? Debate!!!

This is a good heated debate about TCM on a English Chinese TV Channel. The name of the debate show is "I agree, I disagree"

Its 30 minutes long....and to those interested it is very informative. Its interesting because you get both sides of the argument on weather or not TCM thinking should be abolished or not.

Click below link for video:
Traditional Chinese Medicine - I Disagree - bonlive

quote:
"Considered an alternative medical system in much of the Western world, in China, Traditional Chinese Medicine, or TCM, is a valuable cultural treasure for over one billion people. While it attracts increasing attention in western countries, in China fierce debate over its legal existence has been raging on for over one hundred years. With thousands of years of history and a variety of almost magical treatment methods such as acupuncture, herbal medicine, food therapy, cupping and Tuina massage, TCM has never been without its side in western eyes. That's not to say however that doubts surrounding its efficacy and safety, as well as longstanding confusion over its development in China don't exist. Such uncertainty has resulted in a new wave of debate over whether to preserve or abolish this living symbol of Chinese culture."

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Supreme Leader

New hope for obesity: TCM cuts fat, long term

This is interesting, found it in chinesemedicinenews.com

The TCM medicine in research is Chinese herbal extract Number Ten (NT)
The formula showed "Parametrial fat decreased 14.1% to 55.5% in the NT and pair fed groups vs. control."

quote: and this article pasted below is based from this source Chinese Medicine | Full text | Effect of an herbal extract Number Ten (NT) on body weight in rats
"CM NEWS – A Chinese medicine seems to be effective in cutting food intake of obese rats and reducing body weight by as much as 33%. The study also suggests that the might provide long term control of body weight.

The study was done at the Center for Advanced Nutrition of Utah State University. According to the researchers, traditional Chinese herbal products were reported to be effective for the treatment of obesity. Among them, Chinese herbal extract Number Ten (NT) is a dietary herbal formulation prepared from rhubarb, ginger, astragalus, red sage and tumeric. This study tested the effectiveness of NT in reducing body weight gain in rats.

What is Number Ten (NT)? Number Ten (NT, which is not a trade name) is a herbal that was reported in a published patent specification to be effective in preventing obesity in rats when it was orally gavage fed.

The effect of NT to reduce body weight was reported in otherwise normal rats that had been made very obese by feeding a high energy diet and also in obese rats that had been treated with monosodium glutamate (to induce hypothalamic lesions). In the former study, an improvement in blood lipid and blood glucose levels was also noted and in the latter one the obesity reducing effect was shown in rats of both genders. In a third study, NT was shown to be effective in attenuating the development of obesity without affecting the gain in lean body tissue in a young growing male rat that had been fed on high fat diet to induce obesity.

The herbal NT is derived from the following formula:

(1) Dahuang (大黃, Rheum officinale Baill.) - 40%
To treat: lack of bowel movement, dysentry, blood clots, tumour, red and painful eyes, abdominal-distention and/or pain, blood in stool, # hemorrhoidal bleeding, urination burning, nose bleeding, coughing out blood, sore extremities, edema, jaundice, lesions, burns and scalding (external application).

(2) Shayuanjili (沙苑蒺藜, 沙苑, Astragalus complanatus R. Br.) – 13.3%

To treat: spermatorrhea, premature ejaculation, achy loin, dizziness, frequent urination, enuresis vagina discharge, and neurasthenia.

(3) Danshen (丹参, Salvia miltiorrhiza Bge.) – 13.3%
To treat: stroke, angina and heart attack, as an antihypertensive and a sedative.

(4) Shengjiang (生薑, fresh ginger, Zingiber officinale Rosc.) – 6-7%
Functions: Anti-bacteria (especially Salmonella) and anti-trichomoniasis; lowers blood lipids; reduces pain; anti-inflammation; anti- coagulation of platelets; anti-allergic; anti-tumours; and prevents sea sickness etc.

(5) Jianghuang (薑黃, Curcuma longa L.) – 26-27%
Functions: lowers blood lipids; anti-coagulation of platelets; protects liver from toxin; promotes secretion of bile; promotes flow of menses and relieves pain; anti-tumour; anti-inflammatory; anti-oxidation; promotes metabolism of alcohol; antibiotic; antivirus; and protects heart muscle from lack of oxygen etc.
(For more information about curcumins in yellow curry, please read this article. Curry substance prevents diabetic complications | CHINESE MEDICINE NEWS)

The herbs were allowed to soak for 8 hours. The water in the pot with the four-herb mixture was boiled until the volume was reduced by half. A cold rhubarb was then added to the four-herb mixture and heated to just below boiling point for 20 minutes before cooling. After filtering the large particulates from the , the remaining liquid was freeze-dried to a powder form, producing 0.5 g of solids from 10 ml of liquid.

In the present study, 60 female Wistar rats were fed a high fat diet and acclimated to gavage feeding. The rats were divided into five treatment groups:

1. Control
2. Group 2: NT 1.5 g/day
3. Group 3: NT 0.75 g/day
4. Group 4: pair fed to Group 2
5. Group 5: d-fenfluramine (an appetite suppressant) 2mg/kg

10 rats per group were sacrificed on day 56. Weight, food intake, clinical chemistry and body composition were evaluated. 5 animals in the control and 1.5 g/day NT groups were left untreated during a two week recovery period.

The results showed that all treatment groups gained less weight than the control group. These are the reduction percentages:

* Group 3 (NT 0.75g/day) => 24.6%
* Group 2 (NT 1.5g/day) => 33.3%
* Group 5 (d-fenfluramine) =>12.3%
* Group 4 (pair fed) => 33.3%

Moreover, leptin, a protein hormone with important effects in regulating body weight, metabolism and reproductive function, decreased 27.5% to 46.2% in the treatment groups vs. control.

Parametrial fat decreased 14.1% to 55.5% in the NT and pair fed groups vs. control.

The NT groups had soft stools, loss of hair around the mouth and colouration to the urine and stool without evidence of blood or bilirubin (attributed to chromogens in NT). There were no differences between groups in the clinical chemistry.

Reduction in weight gain with NT treatment appears to be caused by reduction in food intake rather than any metabolic effects, the researchers write.

What’s more encouraging is that the rats treated with high dose NT that were allowed a two week post treatment recovery period did not exhibit any catch-up growth during this period. This finding may suggest a continued response to NT or storage of the active components within the body. It also suggests that the NT treatment may lead to a long lasting reduction in body weight.

The mechanism through which NT reduced food intake is unknown. There were no clinical symptoms that would cause concern in using this product in humans.

With these strong results, the researchers concluded that this study demonstrate that NT was effective in reducing body weight gain in rats that had been fed a high fat diet to induce obesity. Its effects are maintained throughout the treatment period as shown in the present study. No toxicity of NT was found in rats although gastric toxicity was reported in humans.

[Chinese Medicine 2007, 2:10]" Chinese Medicine | Full text | Effect of an herbal extract Number Ten (NT) on body weight in rats

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Supreme Leader

Ginseng is nature’s anti-inflammatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM NEWS View Post
– The famous immunological effects of ginseng have been confirmed and defined by a recent study. Ginseng is believed to have beneficial effects against human diseases, and its active components, ginsenosides, may play critical roles in its diverse physiological actions.

Researchers writing in BioMed Central’s open access Journal of Translational Medicine have shown that the herb, much used in traditional Chinese and other Asian medicine, does have anti-inflammatory effects.
http://www.translational-medicine.co...-5876-7-34.pdf

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 PM

Ginseng is great, I've noticed that I generally have a better sense of well being when using 2g per day. Nothing huge, but I can tell the difference.

*ThermoLife International Representative*
Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Supreme Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfairhurst View Post
Ginseng is great, I've noticed that I generally have a better sense of well being when using 2g per day. Nothing huge, but I can tell the difference.
Or when you use Ebol...that stuff has some real deal Ginseng it it.

Its not marketed for this either but Ebol works well when your zapped with stim fatigue too!

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimJongIl View Post
Or when you use Ebol...that stuff has some real deal Ginseng it it.

Its not marketed for this either but Ebol works well when your zapped with stim fatigue too!
Hmm, I may need to give Ginseng a try so I can reduce my caffeine intake.

My Training Log: http://www.thermolife.com/forum/f16/...ning-log-1372/

All men are not created equal
Only the strong will prosper
Only the strong will conquer

http://www.thewarehousegym.net/- SE Houston/Clear Lake Powerlifting and Strongman Training:
Old 03-02-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimJongIl View Post
Ginseng is nature’s anti-inflammatory

http://www.translational-medicine.co...-5876-7-34.pdf
I totally forgot that Ginseng had anti-inflammatory properties as well.

Remember it, write it down, take a picture!
I DON'T GIVE A ****!

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Supreme Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHCougar05 View Post
Hmm, I may need to give Ginseng a try so I can reduce my caffeine intake.

Ebol does much more for stim fatigue than standalone Ginseng ime.

I love Ebol along side ECA stack, I just feel better when running it.

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 03-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Supreme Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfairhurst View Post
Gotta love how ephedrine is still easily available OTC here in Canada, but it's expensive along with every other supplement...
I hand it out to my military during combat.

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Supreme Leader

TCM formula slows kidney failure
August 11, 2009

Fu Ling (Poria Cocos)

CM NEWS – A traditional herbal formula has been proved in lab that it may slow the progression of chronic kidney failure.

The formular tested is called keishibukuryogan in Japanese traditional medicine or Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan (桂枝茯苓丸) in TCM.

In TCM, Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan has the functions of “activating blood flow” and “removing blood stasis”. It is commonly used by women with irregular menstruation or menstrual cramps.

Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan was also proved effective to exert anti-inflammatory effects in ischemia-reperfusion injured rats.

The formula of Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan is as follows:

* Fu Ling (茯苓, Poria Cocos) 6g
* Gui Zhi (桂枝, Cinnamomum Ramulus) 6g
* Mu Dan Pi (牡丹皮, Paeonia Cortex) 6g
* Tao Ren (桃仁, Persica Semen) 6g
* Chi Shao (赤芍, Paeonia Rubra Radix) 6g

What is Fu Ling? Poria Cocos is a fungus in the Polyporaceae family. It is a wood-decay fungus but has a terrestrial growth habit. It is notable in the development of a large, long-lasting underground sclerotium that resembles a small coconut. This sclerotium (called “Tuckahoe”, or Indian Bread) was used by native Americans as a source of food in times of scarcity.

Fu Ling is collected between July and September. The poria with reddish inner side of the superficial layer is called red poria and the poria with white inner side of the superficial layer is called white poria. The poria produced in Yunnan Province is famous and therefore the drug is also called Yunnan poria Yunling). After collection, it is dried in shade, sliced, and used unprepared.

Property: Sweet and tasteless in flavour, neutral in property, acting on the heart, spleen and kidney channels.

Effects: Inducing diuresis, excreting dampness, invigorating the spleen, replenishing the middle-jiao, and tranquilizing the mind.

A group of Japanese researchers examined the effects of keishibukuryogan on the early stage of progressive renal failure in rats subjected to 5/6 nephrectomy.

Keishibukuryogan was given orally at a dose of 1% (w/w) and 3% (w/w) in chow. Administration of keishibukuryogan was started at 1 week after 5/6 nephrectomy and was continued for 4 weeks.

At the end of the experiment, Azan staining did not reveal any severe histological changes in the kidneys of the nephrectomized rats. On the other hand, significant increases in mRNA expressions of transforming growth factor-β1 and fibronectin related to tissue fibrosis were observed in nephrectomized rats, and they were significantly suppressed by 3% keishibukuryogan treatment.

Against gene expressions related to macrophage infiltration, 3% keishibukuryogan treatment significantly suppressed osteopontin mRNA levels, and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 mRNA levels showed a tendency to decrease, but without statistical significance.

It was also observed that 3% keishibukuryogan attenuated serum urea nitrogen and urinary protein excretion levels. From these results, it was suggested that keishibukuryogan exerts beneficial effects that result in slowing the progression of chronic renal failure.

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 AM
Supreme Leader

'Athlete reached the top with acupuncture'

"Acupuncture isn’t doping, but it can help athletes to win medals. That’s the message of a case that the German professor Taras Usichenko, of Ernst Moritz Arndt University, will publish soon in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. The case study describes an anonymous athlete, who became the German pentathlon champion thanks to seven years of acupuncture treatment."
Read more:'Athlete reached the top with acupuncture'

Acupuncture strengthens muscles

"The present study shows that a one-session acupuncture treatment was efficacious for improving isometric quadriceps strength in recreational athletes", write the Germans. "Future prospective studies should evaluate whether acupuncture induced strength gains would carry over to athletic performance."
Full story here:
Acupuncture strengthens muscles

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 07-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Supreme Leader

Active ingredient in cordyceps is cordycepin

"Extracts of the fungus Cordyceps sinensis have been shown to boost testosterone levels and improve the endurance capacity of the over 50s in lab tests. Now it looks as though researchers at Hung Kuang University in Taiwan have worked out at least which active ingredient in Cordyceps is responsible for the rise in testosterone: cordycepin [structural formula shown below]."

whole story here
Got it! Active ingredient in cordyceps is cordycepin

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Supreme Leader

Quote from AAOM - American Association of Orthopaedic Medicine

"Acupuncture
Acupuncture Picture Along with herbal medicine, acupuncture is one of the oldest therapies extant. It’s origins are shrouded in antiquity, but The Yellow Emperor’s Classic Of Internal Medicine (1)(Huang Ti Nei Jing), a Chinese medical classic written during the Zhou Dynasty (1000-400 B.C.) describes a sophisticated model for the use of acupuncture in the treatment of many diseases. Much later, the Great Compendium of Acupuncture and Moxibustion (2) was written during the Ming Dynasty and serves as the basis for most modern acupuncture. In more recent times the interest in acupuncture has blossomed throughout the world but especially in the West.

Much research has been done since the introduction of the concept of acupuncture anesthesia. The World Health Organization and the National Institute of Health have position statements on acupuncture (3), emphasizing the general safety and efficacy of acupuncture for a wide variety of conditions, including but not limited to neurological and musculoskeletal pain conditions. Here are a few of the documented effects of acupuncture.

Relieves pain: It is a common experience among acupuncturists and patients that acupuncture therapy relieves pain. It may act to reduce muscle spasm, alleviate nerve pain, reduce or eliminate the need for analgesics, and decrease post-procedure or post-surgical pain and complications (4-6).

Promotes healing: A number of studies have demonstrated an improvement in wound healing with acupuncture and electroacupuncture stimulation (7;8). This includes post-surgical wounds, ulcers, burns, sprains and strains, fractures, etc. This is thought to be due to improving the blood supply to the affected tissue, improving trophic effects, enhancing neuroendocrine function and thereby accelerating the repair process (7;9)

Neuroendocrine regulation:
Along with the discovery of the opioid receptor and the presence of endogenous opioids, it has been shown that acupuncture enhances this system of internal pain relief (10). In addition, a related effect called descending inhibition of pain has been demonstrated with acupuncture (11). Acupuncture has also been shown to optimize the hypothalamic-pituitary axis to the extent of inducing ovulation in anovulatory women (12). Inflammatory conditions, mediated in part by interleukins, have also been shown to respond to acupuncture (13).

Overall, acupuncture has been and continues to be an important adjunctive treatment for pain, can promote a general healing response, and may be responsible for specific regulation of the neuroendocrine systems."

Reference List
  1. Veith, Ilza and Huang Ti. Yellow Emporer's Classic on Internal Medicine (Huang Ti Nei Jing). 1949. University of California Press.
  2. Yang Ji-zhou. Great Compendium of acupuncture and Moxibustion (Zhen Jiu Da Cheng ). 1601.
  3. NIH Consensus Conference. Acupuncture. JAMA 1998;280(17):1518-24.
  4. Yuan CX, Xing JH, Yan CY. Observations on clinical therapeutic effect in treating soft tissue injuries by acupuncture, with pain threshold and electromyography as parameters. J.Tradit.Chin Med. 1989;9(1):40-4.
  5. Alkaissi A, Evertsson K, Johnsson VA, Ofenbartl L, Kalman S. P6 acupressure may relieve nausea and vomiting after gynecological surgery: an effectiveness study in 410 women. Can.J.Anaesth. 2002;49(10):1034-9.
  6. Kanakura Y, Niwa K, Kometani K, Nakazawa K, Yamaguchi Y, Ishikawa H et al. Effectiveness of acupuncture and moxibustion treatment for lymphedema following intrapelvic lymph node dissection: a preliminary report. Am.J.Chin Med. 2002;30(1):37-43.
  7. Sumano H, Mateos G. The use of acupuncture-like electrical stimulation for wound healing of lesions unresponsive to conventional treatment. Am.J.Acupunct. 1999;27(1-2):5-14.
  8. Di Bernardo N, Crisafulli A, Gemelli F, Ferlazzo F, Cucinotta E, Foti A. [Experimental research on the effect of electro-acupuncture on reparative processes]. Minerva Med. 1980;71(51):3709-13.
  9. Rabl V, Bochdansky T, Hertz H, Kern H, Meng A. [The effect of standardized acupuncture programs in the after-care of accident patients]. Unfallchirurgie 1983;9(6):308-13.
  10. Kasahara T, Amemiya M, Wu Y, Oguchi K. Involvement of central opioidergic and nonopioidergic neuroendocrine systems in the suppressive effect of acupuncture on delayed type hypersensitivity in mice. Int.J.Immunopharmacol. 1993;15(4):501-8.
  11. Kaptchuk TJ. Acupuncture: theory, efficacy, and practice. Ann.Intern.Med. 2002;136(5):374-83.
  12. Stener-Victorin E, Waldenstrom U, Tagnfors U, Lundeberg T, Lindstedt G, Janson PO. Effects of electro-cupuncture on anovulation in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Acta Obstet.Gynecol.Scand. 2000;79(3):180-8.
  13. Xiao J, Liu X, Sun L, Ying S, Zhang Z, Li Q et al. [Experimental study on the influence of acupuncture and moxibustion on interleukin-2 in patients with rheumatoid arthritis]. Zhen.Ci.Yan.Jiu. 1992;17(2):126-8, 132.

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 AM
Supreme Leader

• Goji and Schizandra Drops -

Post from Natural News-
Schizandra chinensis is one of the elite tonic herbs in the entire world. It is staggeringly popular in Asia and its reputation is rapidly growing in America. It is known as the “Quintessence of Chinese Herbs.” It is the only herb known that tonifies all three of the Three Treasures (Jing, Qi and Shen). It is the only herb that enters all twelve of the meridian systems that nourish all of our internal organs and functions. It is the only herb that simultaneously tonifies all five elements (Water, Wood, Fire, Earth and Metal). No other herb compares in this capacity to nurture the entire body and mind, not even Ginseng or Reishi.*

Important NOTE about Schizandra: Good, REAL Schizandra is not so easy to get. Schizandra grows abundantly in the forests of Changbai Mountain, a non-polluted, pristine biosphere in northeastern China (Manchuria). Schizandra from that region is called Bei Wu Wei Zi (Northern Five Flavor Herb). It is collected annually in the fall by local collectors. It is also now being grown by some farmers at lower altitude in a neighboring region (Liaoning).

Unfortunately for most Americans, most of the high grade Schizandra is pre-purchased by a few Taiwanese and South Korean mega-herb companies who sell entirely to the vast Asian market. For a few years just recently, these companies controlled the entire world market, and real Schizandra was very hard to get – and the price was driven up significantly.

As a result, starting about 7 years ago, marketers starting selling a different species of Schizandra, Schisandra sphenanthera, especially targeting the American market where most buyers don’t know the difference. In China it is called Nan Wu Wei Zi, Southern Schizandra, because it grows in southern China, not northeastern China where the real stuff comes from. This variety of “Schizandra” is looked upon as a very inferior tonic in China and is not used as a legitimate Schizandra substitute by reputable companies.

U.S. marketers have either been ignorant of this, or have ignored the issue, and often even state that they are selling the Schisandra chinensis on their labels and in their literature, even when they aren’t.

* These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
--------------------------------

Scientific Studies

The immuno-regulatory effects of Schisandra chinensis and its constituents on human monocytic leukemia cells.
Lin RD, Mao YW, Leu SJ, Huang CY, Lee MH.
Source

Department of Internal Medicine, Ho-Ping Branch, Taipei City Hospital, Taipei 100, Taiwan. lmh@tmu.edu.tw
Abstract

Many diseases occur when the immune system is weakened. Intracellular signals activate immuno-responsive cells to produce cytokines that modulate the immune response. Schisandra chinensis has been used traditionally to treat general fatigue, neurasthenia, and spontaneous sweating. In the present study, the effect of constituents of S. chinensis on cytokine release by human monocytic leukemia cells (THP-1) was tested using microparticle-based flow cytometric analysis. Two major lignans, schizandrin (Sch) and gomisin A (Gom A), were identified and shown to induce interleukin (IL)-8, macrophage inflammatory protein-1β (MIP-1β), and granulocyte-macrophage-colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF) release by THP-1 cells. By reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) or quantitative real-time PCR, there was a dose-dependent increase of IL-8, MIP-1β and GM-CSF mRNA levels. Thus, Sch and Gom A from S. chinensis enhance cytokine release by THP-1 cells and this effect occurs through mRNA upregulation. Upregulation of MIP-1β and GM-CSF in particular may have clinical applications. Therefore, S. chinensis may be therapeutically beneficial by promoting humoral and cell-mediated immune responses.
The immuno-regulatory effects of Schisandra chinen... [Molecules. 2011] - PubMed result

Relaxant effects of Schisandra chinensis and its major lignans on agonists-induced contraction in guinea pig ileum.
Yang JM, Ip PS, Che CT, Yeung JH.
Source

School of Chinese Medicine, Faculty of Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong.
Abstract

In this study, the herbal extracts of Schisandra chinensis were demonstrated to inhibit the contractions induced by acetylcholine (ACh) and serotonin (5-HT) in guinea pig ileum, and the 95% ethanol extract was more effective than the aqueous extract. Analysis with High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) indicated that schisandrin, schisandrol B, schisandrin A and schisandrin B were the major lignans of Schisandra chinensis, and the ethanol extract contained higher amount of these lignans than the aqueous extract. All four lignans inhibited the contractile responses to ACh, with EC(20) values ranging from 2.2±0.4μM (schisandrin A) to 13.2±4.7μM (schisandrin). The effectiveness of these compounds in relaxing the 5-HT-induced contraction was observed with a similar magnitude. Receptor binding assay indicated that Schisandra lignans did not show significant antagonistic effect on muscarinic M3 receptor. In Ca(2+)-free preparations primed with ACh or KCl, schisandrin A (50μM) attenuated the contractile responses to cumulative addition of CaCl(2) by 37%. In addition, schisandrin A also concentration-dependently inhibited ACh-induced contractions in Ca(2+)-free buffer. This study demonstrates that Schisandra chinensis exhibited relaxant effects on agonist-induced contraction in guinea pig ileum, with schisandrin, schisandrol B, schisandrin A and schisandrin B being the major active ingredients. The antispasmodic action of schisandrin A involved inhibitions on both Ca(2+) influx through L-type Ca(2+) channels and intracellular Ca(2+) mobilization, rather than specific antagonism of cholinergic muscarinic receptors.
Relaxant effects of Schisandra chinensis and its m... [Phytomedicine. 2011] - PubMed result

Schisandra chinensis α-iso-cubebenol induces heme oxygenase-1 expression through PI3K/Akt and Nrf2 signaling and has anti-inflammatory activity in Porphyromonas gingivalis lipopolysaccharide-stimulated macrophages.
Park SY, Park DJ, Kim YH, Kim Y, Choi YW, Lee SJ.
Source

Bio-IT Fusion Technology Research Institute, Pusan National University, Busan, Republic of Korea; Department of Molecular Biology, Pusan National University, Busan, Republic of Korea.
Abstract

Heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) is a potent anti-inflammatory molecule that regulates pro-inflammatory mediators. Several studies have indicated that HO-1 expression is induced by a variety of stimuli such as lipopolysaccharide (LPS), cytokines, oxidative stress, and antioxidant phytochemicals. In this study, we assessed the anti-inflammatory effects of a novel α-iso-cubebenol isolated from dried fruits of Schisandra chinensis in human macrophage THP-1 cells and investigated the involvement of HO-1 signaling. We first observed that α-iso-cubebenol induced HO-1 mRNA and protein expression in a dose- and time-dependent manner via activation of erythroid-specific nuclear factor-regulated factor 2 (Nrf2). We also found that α-iso-cubebenol induced phosphorylation of phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K)/Akt and extracellular-regulated kinase (ERK) in a time-dependent manner. Furthermore, treatment of THP-1 cells with inhibitors and siRNA specific for PI3K/Akt and ERK decreased the expression of HO-1. These results suggested that α-iso-cubebenol induced HO-1 expression through the activation of PI3K/Akt, ERK, and Nrf2 signaling. Next, α-iso-cubebenol strongly inhibited Porphyromonas gingivalis LPS-stimulated pro-inflammatory cytokines (tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α, interleukin (IL)-1β, IL-6, and IL-12). Moreover, we observed that α-iso-cubebenol treatment inhibited nuclear levels and activity of NF-κB in a dose-dependent manner. Additionally, treatment with tin-protoporphyrin (SnPP), a selective inhibitor of HO-1, reversed the α-iso-cubebenol-mediated inhibition of P. gingivalis LPS-induced pro-inflammatory cytokines. Hence, α-iso-cubebenol might induce anti-inflammatory effects on P. gingivalis LPS-stimulated human THP-1 macrophages by mediating the activation of PI3k/Akt and ERK that leads to over-expression of HO-1 and Nrf-2. These findings suggest that α-iso-cubebenol may be considered as a novel therapeutic agent to ameliorate periodontitis.
Schisandra chinensis

The Role of the Lignan Constituents in the Effect of Schisandra chinensis Fruit Extract on Penile Erection.
Kim HK, Bak YO, Choi BR, Zhao C, Lee HJ, Kim CY, Lee SW, Jeon JH, Park JK.
Source

Department of Urology, Medical School, and Institute for Medical Sciences, Chonbuk National University, and Research Institute and CTC of Medical Device of Chonbuk National University Hospital, Jeonju, 561-712, Republic of Korea.
Abstract

The effect of the ethanol extract and active components of the fruit of Schisandra chinensis was evaluated on rabbit penile corpus cavernosum (PCC). PCC, pre-contracted with 10(-5)  m phenylephrine (Phe), was treated with extracts of S. chinensis at five different compositions of ethanol and water (95%, 70%, 50%, 30% and ethanol/water [v/v]) and three fractions (0.1, 0.5, 1 and 2 mg/mL). The effect of the extracts and active lignans (schisandrol A and schisandrol B) from S. chinensis on sildenafil citrate pre-incubated PCC was also evaluated. The PCC relaxation induced by the 95% ethanol extraction and the n-hexane fraction was concentration-dependent and the ethanol extract enhanced sildenafil citrate-induced PCC relaxation. The active components of S. chinensis (schisandrol A and schisandrol B) significantly enhanced sildenafil citrate-induced relaxation >2-fold; schisandrol A had the highest relaxant effect on sildenafil citrate pre-incubated PCC. The lignans, schisandrol A and schisandrol B, isolated from the fruits of S. chinensis enhanced sildenafil citrate-induced relaxation and may have synergistic action in patients who do not completely respond to sildenafil. Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The Role of the Lignan Constituents in the Effect ... [Phytother Res. 2011] - PubMed result

Double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised study of single dose effects of ADAPT-232 on cognitive functions.
Aslanyan G, Amroyan E, Gabrielyan E, Nylander M, Wikman G, Panossian A.
Source

Department of Clinical Pharmacology, National Institute of Health, Yerevan, Armenia. gayane@pharm.am <gayane@pharm.am>
Abstract

The aim of this study was to assess the effect of a single dose of ADAPT-232 (a standardised fixed combination of Rhodiola rosea L., Schisandra chinensis (Turcz.) Baill., and Eleutherococcus senticosus Maxim) extracts on mental performance, such as attention, speed and accuracy, in tired individuals performing stressful cognitive tasks. The pilot study (phase IIa) clinical trial took the form of a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised, with two parallel groups. Forty healthy females aged between 20-68 years, who claimed to have felt stressed over a long period of time due to living under psychologically stressful conditions were selected to participate in the pilot study. In addition, a Stroop Colour-Word test (Stroop CW) was used to exhaust/prepare the volunteers prior to the d2 test used for assessment of cognitive function of patients. The participants were randomised into two groups, one (n=20) of which received a single tablet of ADAPT-232 (270mg), while a second (n=20) received a single tablet of placebo. The effects of the extract were measured prior to treatment and two hours after treatment using the d2 Test of Attention (d2). The results of the d2 test showed a significant difference (p<0.05) in attention, speed, and accuracy (TN-E scores) between the two treatment groups. The subjects in the ADAPT-232 group quickly (two hours after verum was taken) gained improved attention and increased speed and accuracy during stressful cognitive tasks, in comparison to placebo. There was also a tendency of ADAPT-232 to reduce percentage of errors, which means better accuracy, quality of the work, and degree of care in the volunteers under stressful conditions. No serious side effects were reported, although a few minor adverse events, such as sleepiness and cold extremities, were observed in both treatment groups.
Double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised study... [Phytomedicine. 2010] - PubMed result

Protective effects of dibenzocyclooctadiene lignans from Schisandra chinensis against beta-amyloid and homocysteine neurotoxicity in PC12 cells.
Protective effects of dibenzocyclooctadiene lignan... [Phytother Res. 2011] - PubMed result

Dibenzocyclooctadiene lignans from Fructus Schisandrae Chinensis improve glucose uptake in vitro.
Dibenzocyclooctadiene lignans from Fructus Schisan... [Nat Prod Commun. 2010] - PubMed result

Anti-inflammatory effects of gomisin N, gomisin J, and schisandrin C isolated from the fruit of Schisandra chinensis.
Anti-inflammatory effects of gomisin N, gomisin J,... [Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010] - PubMed result

Effect of Schisandra chinensis extract and Ginkgo biloba extract on the pharmacokinetics of talinolol in healthy volunteers.
Effect of Schisandra chinensis extract and Ginkgo ... [Xenobiotica. 2009] - PubMed result

There are MANY more studies on this classic Chinese herb easily found on the net.

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 08-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Supreme Leader

Acupuncture and Responses of Immunologic and Endocrine Markers during Competition

Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise:
August 2003 - Volume 35 - Issue 8 - pp 1296-1302
CLINICAL SCIENCES: Clinically Relevant

AKIMOTO, T., C. NAKAHORI, K. AIZAWA, F. KIMURA, T. FUKUBAYASHI, and I. KONO. Acupuncture and Responses of Immunologic and Endocrine Markers during Competition. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 35, No. 8, pp. 1296-1302, 2003.

Introduction: Acupuncture is used to modulate the physical well-being of athletes in Asian countries. However, there is little information on the immediate effects of acupuncture treatment on physiological or psychological responses to exercise.

Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of acupuncture treatment on the physical well-being of elite female soccer players during a competition period.

Methods: Subjects were divided into two groups: those who received acupuncture treatment (18.1 ± 2.3 yr [±SD], N = 9) and a control group (17.7 ± 2.8 yr, N = 12). In the treatment group, acupuncture stimulus was applied at LI 4 (Goukoku), ST 36 (Ashi-sanri) for 20 min, and ST 6 (Kyosya), LU 6 (Ko-sai) points for 15 min 4 h after the game every night during the competition period. The measured parameters included salivary secretory immunoglobulin A (SIgA) level, cortisol level in saliva, subjective rating of physical well-being, and profile of mood states (POMS).

Results: The following were the main results: 1) Exercise-induced decrease of salivary SIgA and increase of salivary cortisol were inhibited by acupuncture. 2) Acupuncture improved subjective rating of muscle tension and fatigue. 3) The POMS score was modulated by acupuncture.

Conclusion: These results support the effectiveness of acupuncture for physical and mental well-being of athletes.

Professional and amateur athletes sometimes receive acupuncture for treatment of a variety of ailments. Especially in Asian countries, acupuncture has been used to modulate the physical well-being of various athletes (18). The intention is to achieve a higher level of competitive performance (24). Acupuncture is defined as the penetration of the skin with stainless steel needles, which stimulate the tissue manually, electrically, or by heat. Experiments show that acupuncture treatment produces various effects including alleviation of muscle tension, improvement of local blood flow, increase of pain threshold, and modulation of autonomic nervous system (3,13). In fact, acupuncture has been used for treatment of injury, reduction of fatigue, and management of physical condition in athletic fields (10,18). However, there are a few scientific studies on the physiological effects of acupuncture treatment on the physical well-being of athletes (24). The physical well-being of athletes is considered to be the critical physical and mental condition for optimal athletic performance. Physical well-being is regulated by three regulatory systems in the human body, i.e., nervous, endocrine, and immune systems. Several parameters related to these systems are influenced by intense exercise, prolonged training, and overtraining (7).

Several studies have shown that a single session of intense exercise and prolonged heavy training negatively influences the immune system function (23). Recent studies have demonstrated that frequent upper respiratory tract infections (URTI) in elite athletes result in suppression of salivary secretory immunoglobulin A (SIgA) levels (8,16). SIgA is the predominant immunoglobulin in secretions of the mucosal immune system and is found in the saliva, intestinal secretions, bronchoalveolar lavage fluid, urine, tears and other mucosal fluids. SIgA neutralizes various toxins and viruses, and inhibits the attachment and replication of pathogenic microorganisms, and therefore prevents colonization of these pathogens (16).

The endocrine system responds to physical and mental stress including intense exercise, continuous intense training, and competitive stress. Cortisol is a stress marker secreted from the adrenal cortex by physical and mental stress (20). The level of secretion is affected by the type, intensity, and duration of exercise.

It has been shown that the immune and endocrine systems of the body can interact with each other. The immune and endocrine systems communicate bidirectionally via shared messenger molecules, variously called cytokines and hormones (25). It is therefore important to monitor immunologic and endocrine markers for objective assessment of the physical well-being of athletes. Because measurement of certain salivary components by using noninvasive and stress-free method is now possible, it should be easy to determine the physiological response to exercise, training and competition (4).

The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of acupuncture treatment on physical and mental condition of elite female soccer players by measuring salivary SIgA and cortisol levels during a period of sports competition. We hypothesize that acupuncture treatment would inhibit a decrease of physical well-being induced by physical exercise. For this purpose, we measured the changes in salivary SIgA and cortisol as objective markers of immunologic and endocrine system function.

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Supreme Leader

T'ai Chi Helps Prevent Falls and Improve Mental Health in the Elderly, Review Finds

ScienceDaily (May 17, 2011) — T'ai chi has particular health benefits for older people, including helping to prevent falls and improving mental wellbeing, reveals a review published ahead of print in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

But the Chinese martial art widely practised for its health benefits does not help improve the symptoms of cancer or rheumatoid arthritis and the evidence is contradictory for many other health conditions and symptoms.

The effectiveness of t'ai chi for a variety of medical conditions and symptoms has been assessed in several studies and reviews, but their findings have been contradictory, so researchers from Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine in South Korea and the University of Exeter in the UK decided to compare the conclusions of these reviews to gain a better understanding of the benefits of t'ai chi.

Thirty five relevant reviews assessing t'ai chi were identified from English, Chinese and Korean databases. They looked at the effectiveness of the technique in a variety of disease areas, including cancer, Parkinson's disease, musculoskeletal pain, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, osteoporosis and type 2 diabetes. Some reviews also assessed the benefits of t'ai chi for psychological health, balance and fall prevention, muscle strength and flexibility and improving aerobic capacity.

For several conditions, the findings of the reviews were contradictory. However, there was relatively clear evidence that t'ai chi is effective for fall prevention and improving psychological health and was associated with general health benefits for older people. On the other hand, t'ai chi seemed to be ineffective for the symptomatic treatment of cancer and rheumatoid arthritis.

The authors conclude: "Our overview showed that t'ai chi, which combines deep breathing and relaxation with slow and gentle movements, may exert exercise-based general benefits for fall prevention and improvement of balance in older people as well as some meditative effects for improving psychological health. We recommend t'ai chi for older people for its various physical and psychological benefits. However, t'ai chi may not effectively treat inflammatory diseases. "

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 09-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Supreme Leader

Acupuncture is grounded in science, not myth and magic

BMJ – The principles of acupuncture are firmly grounded in science, and you don’t need Chinese philosophy either to make it work, or to practise it, says a leading medically trained acupuncturist.

Dr Adrian White, who is editor in chief of the scientific journal Acupuncture in Medicine, was speaking at the launch of the journal’s transfer to publication by BMJ Group after 27 years of publication with the British Medical Acupuncture Society (BMAS).

You don’t need Chinese philosophy either to make it work, or to practise it.

- Dr Adrian White

“One of the major problems facing medical acupuncture is the preconceived notions both the public and healthcare professionals have of it,” he said. “The perception is that acupuncture is still all about chi and meridians.”

This view has hindered its acceptance among healthcare professionals, and its wider use as a valid addition to pain control in conditions, ranging from nausea to arthritis, as well as after surgery, he contends.

“In the past it was easy for doctors and scientists to dismiss acupuncture as ‘highly implausible’ when its workings were couched in talk of chi and meridians. But it becomes very plausible when explained in terms of neurophysiology,” he explains.

Unfortunately, the scientific approach just isn’t as sexy,” he continues. “Many people, including practitioners and the public, have held on to the traditional explanations.”

And there’s plenty of scientific evidence, which has been building up for the past 30 years, to show that acupuncture stimulates the nerves in the brain and spinal cord, releasing feel good chemicals, such as opioids and serotonin. The research also shows that a needle placed outside of the traditional meridians will have an impact.

“Points don’t have any magical properties; they are simply convenient locations to needle,” he says.

Clinging to the traditional approach also stymied good quality research, because needling outside the meridians is often used as a comparator. “This misunderstanding has been a fundamental flaw in the design of many acupuncture studies,” comments Dr White.

Shrouding acupuncture in the mystery of Chinese philosophy has also prevented healthcare professionals from providing acupuncture themselves.

“[They] already know how to diagnose, and they already know a great deal about anatomy and physiology, so they can easily learn to practise acupuncture safely and effectively,” after a short foundation course, of the type provided by BMAS, he says.

“The aim of Acupuncture in Medicine is to build up the evidence base for acupuncture’s place in the modern health service,” says Dr White.

While it may not be a cure all, acupuncture does have a place, and is a relatively inexpensive approach to common conditions that can be difficult and often costly to treat, he says.

Acupuncture is grounded in science, not myth and magic | CHINESE MEDICINE NEWS

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Supreme Leader

Traditional Chinese Medicine helps paralyzed bodybuilder walk again

Special From Men's Health: Paralyzed Mr. Kentucky Learns To Walk Again

Mr. Kentucky is 11,300 miles away from home, lying in a hospital bed, and his right side is paralyzed. His massive, chiseled muscles -- the ones that won Devin Dearth the state bodybuilding title -- aren’t their former size, but he still bulges at the seams. Nurses at the Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Tianjin, China, surround him and then part as his new doctor enters the room. The doctor, taller than everyone else, struts to the side of the bed and sticks his hand out for Devin to shake. Try as he can, Mr. Kentucky just can’t move his right hand.

Then the doctor begins to insert needles into Devin. Acupuncture to stimulate his paralyzed nerves, yes, but of a different sort: these needles are wider than any you'd find in the United States. More effective, says the doctor. He places them everywhere into Devin: his legs, arms, head, tongue, eyelids; nothing is left unpunctured. The needles will remain in him for 20 minutes, but in the meantime, the doctor asks Devin to move the frozen extremities on his right side.

It starts with his leg. The same leg that had squatted millions of pounds over the course of his 40 years lay flat and trembling. But then Devin slowly lifts it off of the bed. He hasn't moved like that for months. And then his right arm, the one that had failed him just 15 minutes before, moves.

A Brain Bleed Changes Everything
Three years ago Devin was the Mr. Kentucky. A champion body builder. Arguably the hardest working person in the Blue Grass State. He hit the gym at 4 o'clock in the morning, every morning, then spent eight hours a day working his six-figure job, afterward returning home to be with his wife and three children.

But one day while lifting weights -- pop! -- it all changed. His brain stem -- the area that acts as the on and off ramp for all of the nerves in the human brain -- bled; a rare occurrence with serious consequence. A small leak, really. But when that area of your brain springs even the smallest leak, 95 percent of the time it kills you. Devin Dearth isn't a 95 percenter. (Click here for The Top 5 Man Killers.)

After weeks in the intensive care unit at a hospital in Kentucky and three months of in-hospital therapy, Devin was sent home with a paralyzed right side, wheelchair bound, drooling, and unable to walk or communicate effectively. His insurance had run out, and his family was struggling to pay for the at-home therapy that he required.

Rest of story: Special From Men's Health: Paralyzed Mr. Kentucky Learns To Walk Again | ThePostGame

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 11-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Supreme Leader

Reishi... the "Mushroom of Immortality"

"What is Reishi?-Red Reishi (Ganoderma Lucidum), commonly known as Ling Zhi in Chinese, is a herbal mushroom known to have miraculous health benefits.

So what's so good about red reishi?
    • It is non-toxic and can be taken daily without producing any side effects.
    • When it is taken regularly, it can restore the body to its natural state, enabling all organs to function normally.
    • Immune modulator - regulates and fine tunes the immune system.
What are the benefits of Reishi?
Red Reishi is primarily composed of complex carbohydrates called water-soluble polysaccharides, triterpeniods, proteins and amino acids. Researchers have identified that water-soluble polysaccharides are the most active element found in Red Reishi that have anti-tumour, immune modulating and blood pressure lowering effects.

Another major active ingredient found in Red Reishi are triterpenes , called ganoderic acids. Preliminary studies indicated that ganoderic acids help alleviate common allergies by inhibiting histamine release, improve oxygen utilization and improve liver functions. Triterpenes are bitter in taste and the level of the triterpene content contained in a product can be determined by the bitterness.

Regular consumption of red Reishi can enhance our body's immune system and improve blood circulation, thus improving better health conditions. Generally, Reishi is recommended as an adaptogen, immune modulator, and a general tonic. Red Reishi is also used to help treat anxiety, high blood pressure, hepatitis, bronchitis, insomnia, and asthma. A full list of reported benefits can be found here.

Is there any evidence?

A considerable number of studies in Japan , China , USA , and the UK in the past 30 years have shown that the consumption of red Reishi has been linked to the treatment of a vast range of diseases, common ailments, and conditions. From asthma to zoster, the applications of red Reishi seem to be related to a multitude of body organs and systems.

However, most of the scientific research that has been conducted appears to strongly support red Reishi's role as a normalizing substance - a nutritional supplement that can yield medical benefits through its normalization and regulation of the body's organs and functions.

The role of Red Reishi in maintaining a healthy lifestyle can best be explained through the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) point of view because none of the known active components taken alone is as more effective than the consumption of Reishi itself. Whereas Western medicine focuses on the “cure” after the disease has already occurred, TCM, established through over 2,000 years of human observation, focuses on disease prevention by sustaining the right balance within the body through proper nutrition, exercise, and meditation. Reishi is an important adaptogenic herb in TCM in helping the body maintain this balance and also restore the balance when one is sick. For scientific studies done on Reishi please see the Research or Articles section."
Articles - Articles | Guide to Reishi Mushrooms
Research - Research | Guide to Reishi Mushrooms

Source from all of above^^^ And for more info Guide to Reishi Mushrooms | Red Reishi / Ganoderma Lucidum / Ling Zhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by immunityfx
The Reishi mushroom, also known as Lingzhi (Ganoderma Lucidum) has long been revered as a unique and special herb with a long list of beneficial medicinal properties. It has been used for over 2,000 years in Japan and China. In fact, Lingzhi in Chinese means “herb of spiritual potency” and has been long known in ancient Eastern medicine as the "mushroom of immortality" or the "medicine of kings".

Historically Reishi has been very scarce and hence very valuable. In the wild Reishi can only be found in ideal growing conditions said to be on only 2-3 of 10,000 of the trees capable of hosting the growth of the mushroom. In ancient times those who discovered a Reishi mushroom kept the location secret due to the value of the find. And no wonder, considering that the Reishi mushroom was said to be have properties that influenced happiness, a good future, good health, and longevity.

The medicinal value of Reishi had been said to be documented in the oldest Chinese pharmacopoeia dating back to the first or second century B.C. Reishi, even then, ranked as the #1 herb when compared to 350 others. For many hundreds of years attempts to make cultivation feasible for commercial production was attempted without success.

It was only since a discovery in 1972 by a Japanese farmer that led to what is now widespread availability of Reishi. This farmer discovered how to grow Reishi in controlled conditions which eventually led to the commercial farming of Reishi. So, it is only recently that the benefits of the Reishi mushroom have become widely available.

Reishi mushroom, in its medicinal form, an extract of the mushroom (the actual mushroom has a very wood-like texture and is not very tasty), contains a complex mix of substances that are instrumental to its benefits. In fact, there are over 200 different substances found in Reishi mushrooms that are thought to work in synergy, benefiting the immune system. One of the most important of these is the polysaccharide. Concentrated polysaccharides within the extract act on cells of the immune system, creating an immune modulating (regulating) effect. The Reishi mushroom extract in IMMUNITY-FX® contains a minimum of 15% polysaccharides.
There have been many studies that support the immune enhancing properties of the Reishi mushroom. Many of the studies can be found on PubMed which is a collection of scientific studies compiled as a service of the US National Library of Medicine. Studies published include:

Lin ZB, Zhang HN (November 2004). "Anti-tumor and immunoregulatory activities of Ganoderma lucidum and its possible mechanisms". Acta Pharmacol. Sin. 25 (11): 1387–95. PMID 15525457.

Abstract: Ganoderma lucidum (G lucidum) is a medicinal fungus with a variety of biological activities. It has long been used as a folk remedy for promotion of health and longevity in China and other oriental countries. The most attractive character of this kind of medicinal fungus is its immunomodulatory and anti-tumor activities. Large numbers of studies have shown that G lucidum modulate many components of the immune system such as the antigen-presenting cells, NK cells, T and B lymphocytes. The water extract and the polysaccharides fraction of G lucidum exhibited significant anti-tumor effect in several tumor-bearing animals mainly through its immunoenhancing activity. Recent studies also showed that the alcohol extract or the triterpene fraction of G lucidum possessed anti-tumor effect, which seemed to be related to the cytotoxic activity against tumor cells directly. Preliminary study indicated that antiangiogenic effect may be involved antitumor activity of G lucidum.

Kuo MC, Weng CY, Ha CL, Wu MJ (January 2006). "Ganoderma lucidum mycelia enhance innate immunity by activating NF-kappaB". J Ethnopharmacol 103 (2): 217–22. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2005.08.010. PMID 16169168.

Abstract: Ganoderma lucidum is a popular medicinal mushroom in China and Japan for its immunomodulatory and antitumor effects. The goal of this research is to investigate the effect of dried mycelia of Ganoderma lucidum produced by submerged cultivation on the enhancement of innate immune response. We found that Ganoderma lucidum mycelia (0.2–1.6 mg/ml) stimulated TNF-α and IL-6 production after 8 h treatment in human whole blood. IFN-γ release from human whole blood was also enhanced after 3 day-culture with Ganoderma lucidum mycelia (0.2–1.0 mg/ml). However, Ganoderma lucidum mycelia did not potentiate nitric oxide production in RAW264.7 cells. To better understand the possible immuno-enhancement mechanisms involved, we focused on nuclear factor (NF)-κB activation. Electrophoretic mobility shift assay revealed that the Ganoderma lucidum mycelia (1.6 mg/ml) activated κB DNA binding activity in RAW264.7 cells. These results provide supporting evidences for the immunomodulatory effect of Ganoderma lucidum mycelia.

Polysaccharide purified from Ganoderma lucidum induces gene expression changes in human dendritic cells and promotes T helper 1 immune response in BALB/c mice.Lin YL, Lee SS, Hou SM, Chiang BL.Mol Pharmacol. 2006 Aug;70(2):637-44. Epub 2006 May 2.PMID: 16670374 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

Abstract: Ganoderma lucidum is a medicinal mushroom in China and other Asian countries. The polysaccharide from G. lucidum (PS-G) is a branched (1-->6)-beta-d-glucan moiety. In this study, we examined the effects of PS-G on human monocyte-derived dendritic cells (DCs) with microarray analysis by Human Genome U133 Plus 2.0 GeneChip. In comparing mean signal values between PS-G-treated DCs with untreated DCs, 3477 (17%) probe sets were up-regulated, and 4418 (19%) probe sets were down-regulated after PS-G treatment. These results demonstrate that genes associated with phagocytosis (CD36, CD206, and CD209) are decreased and genes associated with proinflammatory chemokines (CCL20, CCL5, and CCL19), cytokines [interleukin (IL)-27, IL-23A, IL-12A, and IL-12B], and costimulatory molecules (CD40, CD54, CD80, and CD86) are increased. To confirm the microarray data, we further investigated the effect of PS-G on antigen-specific antibody and cytokine production in BALB/c mice. Immunization with ovalbumin (OVA)/PS-G showed that the anti-OVA IgG2a levels were significantly increased compared with OVA alone in BALB/c mice. Together, our data demonstrate that PS-G could effectively promote the activation and maturation of immature DCs, preferring a T helper 1 response. Furthermore, the results also demonstrate that the data from microarray analysis could be correlated with the in vivo effect of the immune-enhancing compound.

Ganoderma lucidum mycelium and spore extracts as natural adjuvants for immunotherapy.Chan WK, Lam DT, Law HK, Wong WT, Koo MW, Lau AS, Lau YL, Chan GC.J Altern Complement Med. 2005 Dec;11(6):1047-57.PMID: 16398597 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

Abstract: Ganoderma lucidum (GL) is one of the most commonly used Chinese herbs in the oriental community, with more than 30% of pediatric cancer patients taking GL. The immunomodulating and anticancer effects exerted by GL extracts have been demonstrated by in vitro and in vivo studies. There was, however, no comparison between the immunomodulating effects of GL mycelium extract (GL-M) and spore extracts on human immune cells. Dendritic cells (DCs) are professional antigen-presenting cells and their role in DC-based tumor vaccine has been well defined. The possibility of GL as natural adjuvant for human DCs remains unknown. DESIGN: This study explored the differential effect of GL-M and GL spore extract (GL-S) on proliferation and Th1/Th2 cytokine mRNA expression of human peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) and monocytes. Their effects on the phenotypic and functional maturation of human monocyte-derived DCs were also investigated. RESULTS: GL-M induced the proliferation of PBMCs and monocytes, whereas GL-S showed a mild suppressive effect. Both extracts could stimulate Th1 and Th2 cytokine mRNA expression, but GL-M was a relatively stronger Th1 stimulator. Different from GL-S, GL-M enhanced maturation of DCs in terms of upregulation of CD40, CD80, and CD86, and also reduced fluorescein isothiocyanate-dextran endocytosis. Interestingly, GLM- treated DCs only modestly enhanced lymphocyte proliferation in allogenic mixed lymphocyte culture with mild enhancement in Th development. CONCLUSION: These findings provide evidences that GL-M has immunomodulating effects on human immune cells and therefore can be used as a natural adjuvant for cancer immunotherapy with DCs.

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 AM
Supreme Leader

Goji protects muscle cells against exhaustion
Goji protects muscle cells against exhaustion

Goji berries [Lycium barbarum] may have an anti-catabolic effect, according to a Chinese animal study published recently in an obscure scientific journal.

In the study, male rats were given sugar chains extracted from goji berries in their food for 30 days. The Lycium barbarum I group were given food containing 0.5 percent goji extract; the Lycium barbarum II group were given food containing 1 percent and the Lycium barbarum III group food containing 1.5 percent.
At the end of the period the rats had to swim every day to the point of exhaustion, when they could no longer keep their head above water.

After that the researchers measured the activity [CK] and concentration of the enzyme creatine kinase [CK-MB] in the rats' blood. The higher the blood levels of both after physical exertion, the more damage there is to the muscles. The enzyme leaks into the blood through damaged muscle-cell membranes.

Rats in the Normal control group didn't swim and weren't given goji extract. The animals in the Exhausted-swimming group did swim, but weren't given goji extract.

The supplement also protected the heart muscle, writes researcher Shao JiPing. "In exhausted swimming model rats, the myocyte apoptosis occurred after T lymphocyte infiltration in myocardium. A large area of myocytes lytic necrosis was detected. However, in LBE pre-treatment rats, some symptom was markedly improved. Our result indicated that Lycium barbarum extract could reduced serum CK and CK-MB activities and reduce fatigue in exhausted swimming rats."

Source:
Journal of Medicinal Plants Research Vol. 5(14), pp. 3335-3337, 18 July, 2011.

More:
Yet another animal study: goji boosts endurance capacity 16.02.2012
Goji polysaccharides enhance endurance 03.02.2012
Goji berries are anti-estrogenic 07.06.2010

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....
Old 04-01-2012, 06:35 AM
Supreme Leader

Chin Med. 2007 Sep 14;2:10.
Effect of an herbal extract Number Ten (NT) on body weight in rats.

York DA, Thomas S, Greenway FL, Liu Z, Rood JC.
Source

Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808, USA. david.york@usu.edu

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Chinese herbal extract Number Ten (NT) is a dietary herbal formulation prepared from rhubarb, ginger, astragalus, red sage and tumeric. This study tested the effectiveness of NT in reducing body weight gain in rats.
METHODS:

Sixty female Wistar rats were fed a high fat diet and acclimated to gavage feeding. The rats were divided into five treatment groups: (1) Control (n = 15); (2) NT-H (n = 15), 1.5 g/day; (3) NT-L (n = 10), 0.75 g/day; (4) Pr-fed (n = 10), pair fed to NT-H; (5) d-FF (n = 10), d-fenfluramine 2 mg/kg. Ten rats per group were sacrificed on day 56. Weight, food intake, clinical chemistry and body composition were evaluated. Five animals in the control and 1.5 g/day NT groups were left untreated during a two week recovery period.
RESULTS:

The 0.75 g/day NT, 1.5 g/day NT, d-fenfluramine and pair fed groups gained 24.6%, 33.3%, 12.3% and 33.3% less than the control respectively (P < 0.0006). Leptin decreased 27.5% to 46.2% in the treatment groups vs. control (P < 0.009). Parametrial fat decreased 14.1% to 55.5% in the NT and pair fed groups vs. control (P < 0.006). The NT groups had soft stools, loss of hair around the mouth and coloration to the urine and stool without evidence of blood or bilirubin (attributed to chromogens in NT). There were no differences between groups in the clinical chemistry.
CONCLUSION:

This study demonstrated the efficacy of NT in reducing weight gain in rodents.

Effect of an herbal extract Number Ten (NT) on body... [Chin Med. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Quote:

JUSTICE IS COMING....