Thermolife | ThermoLife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Supreme Leader

In his own words: Tim Cook on Apple earnings and more

Macworld Staff @macworld

• Jan 23, 2013 5:05 PM

iPhone outside of the U.S.

Sequentially we increased over 70 percent from the September quarter, which was 3.5 times the market, and so we could not be happier with that. In terms of geographic distribution, we saw our highest growth in China, and it was into the triple digits. And so I would characterize it as weíre extremely pleased.

The iPhoneís screen size

The iPhone 5 offers a new, 4-inch Retina display, which is the most advanced display in the industry. No one comes close to matching the level of quality as the Retina display. It also provides a larger screen size for iPhone customers without sacrificing the one-handed ease of use that our customers love. We put a lot of thinking into screen size and believe weíve picked the right one.

iPhone demand in the quarter

If you look at the iPhone sales across the quarter, we were very constrained for much of the quarter on iPhone 5. As we begin to produce more and ship more, sales went up with the production. iPhone 4 was actually in constraint for the entire quarter, and sales remained strong. And so thatís how sales progress across the quarter.
Let me make one additional point on this: I know thereís been lots of rumors about order cuts and so forth, and so let me just take a moment to make a comment on these. I donít want to comment on any particular rumor, because I would spend my life doing that, but I would suggest itís good to question the accuracy of any kind of rumor about build plans. And Iíd also stress that even if a particular data point were factual, it would be impossible to accurately interpret the data point as to what it meant for our overall business, because the supply chain is very complex, and we obviously have multiple sources for things. Yields might vary, supplier performance can vary, the beginning inventory positions can vary, I mean thereís just an inordinately long list of things that would make any single data point not a great proxy for whatís going on.

Appleís philosophy versus market share preservation

The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world that enrich customersí lives. Thatís our high order bit. That means that we arenít interested in revenue for revenueís sake. We can put the Apple brand on a lot of things and sell a lot more stuff, but thatís not what weíre here for. We want to make only the best products.

And so what does that mean for market share? I think weíve had a great track record here on iPod, doing different products at different price points, and getting a reasonable share for doing that. I wouldnít view those things as mutually exclusive as some might. But the high order bit is making a great product that enriches customersí lives and so thatís what weíre focused on.

Read full story here: In his own words: Tim Cook on Apple earnings and more | Macworld

불법 건강 보조 식품으로 판매 승인되지 않은 스테로이드뿐만 아니라 소비자에 대한 위험뿐만 아니라 부당하게 합법적 인, 높은 품질과 스포츠 영양 및 성능에 대한 유익한 보조 식품을 소비자에게 제공 할 책임식이 보충제 회사의 명성을 손상시킬 수 있습니다.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 AM
Supreme Leader

On Appleís iPad 5, iPhone 5S, and Plastic iPhone

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLoungeG\\\\
Published: Friday, January 25, 2013

Earlier this month, I had the opportunity to inspect a supposedly accurateóand seriously intriguingóphysical model of the completely redesigned fifth-generation iPad. I briefly mentioned it on Twitter, but didnít write a full article because some key details were ambiguous at that point, including how ďfinalĒ the model was, and the release date. Weíve heard ďlate MarchĒ repeatedly from various sources, but unlike the iPad 2 and third-generation iPad, the casings for which were basically complete as of the Januaries before they launched, the iPad 5 didnít seem to be finished yet.

What does it look like? Well, itís a lot smaller than one would guess was possible: in portrait orientation, picture a 9.7Ē screen with virtually no left or right bezels, and only enough space above and below the screen to accommodate the mandatory camera and Home Button elements. Beyond that, itís noticeably thinner, as well, which is to say the the fifth-generation iPad will be smaller in every dimension than its predecessors. As it will have the same chamfered edges and curves, calling it a ďstretched iPad miniĒ is very close to entirely accurate, with the rendering below looking pretty close to what Iíve seen. The critical question: ďhow will Apple accomplish this?Ē

Rendered image credit: Martin Hajek

The changes are so considerable that a new screen technology, such as IGZO, seems like a given. Going Retina for the third-generation iPad forced Apple to make that tablet a little thicker than the iPad 2, in part to seriously beef up the battery. Very little changed for the fourth-generation iPad. By contrast, this iPad 5 design is so much smaller that a full internal redesignócomplete with a smaller, less power-hungry sequel to the A6Xócan be safely assumed. It wouldnít be a surprise to see the new iPad remain roughly on par with the fourth-generation model in processing capabilities, with the improved screen, dramatically lower size, and reduced weight becoming the key selling points.

One piece of bad news: earlier this month, we heard that Apple was targeting the iPad 5 for Marchósomething that seemed a little hard to swallow. As of now, weíre hearing October, give or take a couple of weeks. This part is pure speculation, but weíre guessing that the screens and processors are going to be hard to come by for a while. If IGZO is in fact the screen technology inside the new iPad, Apple will be relying heavily on Japanís Sharp, which has been struggling for some time with both financial and production constraints. Weíd bet that stabilizing Sharp is a key concern for Apple going forward.

Our sources have also shared a few small new details on the upcoming iPhone lineup. The iPhone 5S will apparently look very much like the iPhone 5, but with a larger rear flash, and is indeed coming this year. Also planned for a 2013 release is Appleís ďlow-costĒ plastic-bodied iPhone, which is being developed with China Mobile in mind: the government-owned telecom company has over 700 million subscribers. One of our sources claims that Appleís iPhone prices remain too high for most mainland Chinese customersóthe iPhone 5 hardware alone starts at $849 there, versus the iPhone 4 at $500, in a country where the average annual salary is around $3,000 per person). The source has said that mainland Chinese iPhone 5 sales are already tapering off as a result of the pricing, which is higher than in Hong Kong. A budget iPhone model would help sales in populous but underdeveloped countries to grow.

Addressing the so-called ďiPhone MathĒóhinted by one source as a mistranslation of ďiPhone +Ēóweíve been told that this is another new model and in early prototyping stages, certainly not expected in 2013. It supposedly has a 4.7Ē screen, at least for the time being. It might never make it to market, and plenty could change before it does. Consider it Appleís ďjust in case / Plan BĒ hedge against ever-growing Android phone screen sizes.

On Appleís iPad 5, iPhone 5S, and Plastic iPhone | iLounge Backstage

불법 건강 보조 식품으로 판매 승인되지 않은 스테로이드뿐만 아니라 소비자에 대한 위험뿐만 아니라 부당하게 합법적 인, 높은 품질과 스포츠 영양 및 성능에 대한 유익한 보조 식품을 소비자에게 제공 할 책임식이 보충제 회사의 명성을 손상시킬 수 있습니다.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 AM
Supreme Leader

Why I dread going to the Apple Store

Scott McNulty @blankbaby

Who doesnít love going to the Apple Store?

Well, me, for one.

Sure, Iíve waited in line at an Apple Store openingóI got a t-shirt!óand Iíve also waited in line for the special holiday sale at an Apple StoreóI got Mac-themed magnetic poetry!óbut instead, I now just wait for the urge to visit an Apple Store to pass. Iím still a fan of what Apple makes, but the retail experience has become less akin to shopping at a high-end boutique and more like going to Walmart (albeit, a well-designed Walmart).

All stores are not created equal

My first visit to an Apple Store was revelatory. Not only were all of Appleís products available for purchase, along with lots of Mac software and accesories, but all the machines were actually in working order and the staff knew what they were talking about. For some of you who have only known a world populated by Apple Stores, this excitment might seem strange, but there was a dark time before these retail oases opened.

My previous experiences with Apple products in a retail environment all dealt with the store-within-a-store concept that Apple piloted with CompUSA (a chain that, shockingly, is no longer in business).

For those of you who might not have had the opportunity to visit a CompUSA Apple ďstore,Ē allow me to paint a word picture: Think of the opposite of an Apple Store and youíve pretty much got it. The CompUSA Apple stores were tucked away in far corners, requiring you to walk past racks and racks full of PC software. (Yes, kids, there was a time when you had go to a store to buy software on a shiny disc. Then you would take it home and slide it into your computer using an arcane device called a CD-ROM drive.)

Once there, you couldnít help but notice that the fluorescent lights in the Apple section seemed to either be flickering or non-functional. Perhaps this was intentional, since all the Macs on display were usually in some state of distress. I spent many a visit to the CompUSA in White Plains, NY fixing Macs and answering random customersí Mac questions.

Thatís what made me fall in love with the Apple Store in the first place, and why I knew it totally made sense for Apple to control its own retail destiny. And this strategy has obviously been a success, since Apple makes more per square foot of store than any other retailer, including high-end stores like Tiffany and Nordstrom. Sadly, this wild success is the very reason I now dread going into an Apple Store.

Nobody goes there anymore, itís too crowded

Devoid of customers, your typical Apple Store is a temple of commerce, lovingly tended by a loyal band of retail employees. But when was the last time you experienced an Apple Store that wasnít packed to the gills with people? Of course, as a company, this is exactly what you want to happen in your store: lots of people coming in to check out your wares. However, a crowded Apple Store (i.e. almost every Apple Store during retail hours) isnít a pleasant place to be if youíre on a mission to buy something or have a Genius fix your ailing Mac.

People of all kinds are camped out at the demo machines, doing everything from checking Facebook to filming, editing, and posting videos of themselves rocking out to some sweet tunes. Interested in actually, you know, trying out a machine before you buy one? Youíll often have to wait.

Speaking of waiting, youíll have to do that fairly often at the Genius Bar, even if you have an appointment. Without a doubt the Geniuses are great at what they do, and the idea of seeing an actual human for tech support is fantastic.

In the early days of Apple Stores, you could just walk up to a Genius Bar, chat with someone, and have them fix your problem. You might even see a Genius pick up the red phone to Cupertino for a particularly tough problem (the red phones are a thing of the past). Success strikes again: Youíre now lucky to get to see a Genius on time, even if youíve made an appointment in advance. Luckily for Apple, the Geniuses are so good at their jobs that they can usually turn a slightly aggravated customer with an ailing Mac/iPhone/iPad into a happy Apple customeróeven if theyíve had to wait past their assigned time.

Shut up and take my money

By now youíve probably figured out that most of my problems with the Apple Store can be traced to a general distaste for my fellow man. Apple canít fix that, but it can address the one thing that totally drives me crazy about the Apple Store: paying for stuff.

In case youíve never been to a store and bought an item, hereís how it usually goes down: You select your item (perhaps a Supernatural novel, based on the hit TV show of the same name), stand in the clearly defined check-out line for a varying amount of time, and hand the item to a cashier. That person in turn rings you up, collects the needed money, and hands you the item in a branded bag of some sort. Simple.

Given the crazy amount of foot traffic Apple stores get, someone decided that the designated cash registers had to go. Now any Apple Store employee on the store floor can check you out (plus thereís an app for that). Itís an amazing ideaóin theory.

Hereís the thing, though: All the Apple Store employees are overwhelmed helping the myriad folks browsing and asking questions. When I walk in with a mission to purchase a Lightning cable, I must push my way through the crowds to the corner of the store and grab the cable.

Now the fun begins: I need to track down an Apple store employee who isnít engaged with a customer. In the past Iíve actually abandoned the whole thing and left the store without buying the cable. My ever-clever wife has come up with a solution for this problem though:

She simply raises her hand. This is surprisingly effective in summoning an Apple Store employee over the general hubbub of the store.

The jerk store called and theyíre all out of McNulty

As I said at the beginning of this article, the Apple stores are making an insane amount of money for Apple. At this point, Apple could open a store inside an old orange crate and sell hundreds of iPhones a dayóbut isnít ďthe experienceĒ part of what Apple sells us? The experience of going to an Apple Store is no longer a pleasant one; itís now more of a chore. I just want to grab that iPad and get the heck out of there so I can give Apple even more of my money in the comfort of my own home.

If Apple were to hire me as its next retail chief (which it really shouldnít), Iíd do a couple of things differently:
  • Hire more staff for the most popular stores. I know Apple Stores are already well staffed, but they need more Geniuses and more floor staff to handle these crowds.
  • Impose a 30-minute limit on usage of the demo machines. If you donít know whether youíre going to buy that MacBook Pro after 30 minutes, it might be time to consider an iPad mini.
  • Add an obvious place for people to pay for purchases. This would be in addition to having every floor staff person available to check people out (and letting people check themselves out for certain items).
With those three smallóand granted, expensiveóchanges I would once again become a devoted Apple Store visitor. I wonít fix the demo Macs though. I promise.

Why I dread going to the Apple Store | Macworld

Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 AM
Supreme Leader

Upgraded flash in the iPhone 5S rumored again, the iPad 5 to come in an ultra compact body

Posted: 28 Jan 2013, 05:20, by Daniel P.
Phone Arena - Phone News, Reviews and Specs

There's a bit more info to the leak that the iPhone 5S, or whatever Apple chooses to name this year's edition, will feature a 13 MP camera module. Insider sources have also mentioned a faster processor plus improved flash, and that this new camera might actually be an Exmor RS unit from Sony, just like the sensor in the Xperia Z.

Of course, there's the sensor, and then we have the optics and the software, so the end result might be something completely different than what Sony has managed to achieve with its own Exmor RS product.

We are not entirely sure what an improved flash would mean, but Apple has filed plenty of patents in that area, like the LED "dots" array you see in the diagram below, plus we've heard already from a separate source that the next iPhone 5S will sport dual LED flash with a tinted blue unit to nail the white balance measurement.

The source also mentions that the prototype chassis for the iPad 5, which looks "pretty close" to the render below, and is expected to arrive in the fall, is so compact and bezel-less on the sides, that it could only use one of the thin and frugal IGZO displays of Sharp, so an improved battery life and/or smaller battery to fit in the compact body can be expected as well.

Finally, the rumored affordable iPhone with polycarbonate housing is mentioned to be something for the vast emerging markets in mind, and developed in cooperation with China Mobile, the world's largest carrier. As for the alleged big-screen iPhone Math, the sources attributed such a title to bad translation, saying that it is more in the sense of "iPhone +" actually, and is just one of Apple's development prototypes. Carrying a 4.7" screen, they say the iPhone + is unlikely to see the light of day this year, and might undergo many changes if/when it is launched.

source: iLounge

Upgraded flash in the iPhone 5S rumored again, the iPad 5 to come in an ultra compact body

Last edited by KimJong-il; 01-28-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 AM
Supreme Leader

Is this the back of Appleís redesigned fifth-generation iPad?

9to5Mac
1/29/2013

Over the past few months, multiple rumors have pointed to Appleís fifth-generation iPad being in development with a design akin to the recently launched iPad mini. That design would likely feature the black & slate/white & silver design language, thinner casing, chamfered edges, and a smaller overall footprint. Today, we received an unverified image from a purported China-based iPad accessories maker, an industry that seems to frequently tip off Appleís future product designs, of the back plate for the next iPad.

While we cannot confirm that the above image is legitimate, it does provide a solid representation of what Appleís next iPad will likely look like. We were told this is a prototype back piece for the fifth-generation iPad with a 9.7-inch display. We were also told that the casing is almost as thin as the iPad miniís back (pictured to the right). As you can see at the top of the purported iPad 5 backplate, this casing would likely be for an LTE model Ė as the black antenna cut implies.

Early rumors about the fifth-generation iPad claimed that the device will arrive around March of this year, but recent reports have said that the device has been delayed until around October of this year.

If the next iPad design was, in fact, considered for a spring-time launch, the fact that casings are floating around China right now should be taken as no surprise. Either way, the first accurate images of the iPhone 5 backplates and parts surfaced around five months before that deviceís release.

Yesterday, we reported that Apple is planning on releasing a new fourth-generation iPad model that may feature 128GB of on-board storage. As pointed out by John Gruber, this mid-cycle update could infer that the fourth-generation iPadís successor truly is not ready to go until later this year:
If this 128 GB iPad 4 thing is true, I take it to imply that the iPad 5 isnít coming until later in the year, and that this is a way for Apple to make a little news, keep the lineup fresh, and raise the bar on tablet storage capacities.
Other products in Appleís 2013 pipeline likely include an ďiPhone 5S,Ē a budget, plastic version of the iPhone, and a new iPad mini (possibly with a Retina display).

Is this the back of Apple’s redesigned fifth-generation iPad? | 9to5Mac

Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 AM
Supreme Leader

Slightly Smaller Apple TV 3,2 (A1469) Contains A5X SoC, BCM4334 Combo

by Brian Klug on 1/29/2013 6:33 PM EST
AnandTech

Yesterday along with iOS 6.1 being pushed to iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches, Apple released an update to the Apple TV 2,1 and 3,1, and curiously enough released another image for an unannounced Apple TV 3,2 product with model A1469. Originally it was assumed this was an international release with minimal changes, however it turns out there's much more inside, including an A5X SoC and BCM4334 (up from BCM4330) WLAN and BT.

Matthew Panzarino from The Next Web pinged me about the FCC documents posting and whether there were any changes inside, which piqued my interested and made me dig a little deeper. First, the Apple TV 3,2 model is slightly smaller, as noted by Engadget. Inside however from what we can glean from the FCC documents there's no longer a two antenna solution for the BCM4330 WiFi+BT combo, but rather a single antenna solution with different gain and utilizing a BCM4334 combo instead. This is the same WLAN+BT combo as used in the iPhone 5 and basically all of the newly refreshed iDevices, and is built on a 40nm RF CMOS process.

Since the previous antennas were a part of the Apple TV PCB, and the FCC disclosure notes that the new Apple TV uses a single PIFA (Planar Inverted F Antenna), it's highly likely we're looking at a completely different PCB.

That fact intrigued me and made me take a look inside the Apple TV 3,2 IPSW, which contained exactly what I was looking for. Instead of the A5R2 SoC (S5L8942) inside the Apple TV 3,1, this new device contains an A5XR2 SoC (S5L8947) as shown in the screenshots I've taken of the Restore.plist file, though there are numerous others. It's entirely possible that Apple is again using different bins of the A5X, it's not possible to tell whether CPU or GPU cores are fused off at this point from my digging through the IPSW. Update: I should note that S5L8945 is the original 45nm Samsung produced A5X, S5L8947 is the A5XR2 that is in this unannounced Apple TV. Note that previously the A5 underwent a similar plus 2 offset, from S5L8940 (A5) to S5L8942 (A5R2) which changed process geometry from 45nm to 32nm HK-MG at Samsung. It's possible we're also looking at a process node change with the A5X to A5XR2 here.

This is an interesting silent update and development for the Apple TV. Given the IPSW release onto the web before an actual hardware announcement, I originally suspected this was a silent upgrade of the Apple TV platform to newer hardware, however the presence of an A5X SoC inside makes things a bit more curious. Hopefully we will see an official announcement in the next few days.

AnandTech - Slightly Smaller Apple TV 3,2 (A1469) Contains A5X SoC, BCM4334 Combo

Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Supreme Leader

Apple Reveals Cool Depth Perception System with a Unique Laser Projection Keyboard Feature for iDevices

Patently Apple
January 31, 2013

On January 31, 2013, the US Patent & Trademark Office published twenty patent applications from Apple and the most intriguing of all relates to their invention concerning a new depth perception system. While Apple has worked on "presence detection systems" before relating to MacBooks and iDevices, this new system goes beyond mere detection. For instance, in one application, Apple describes the new system integrated into an iPad that would be able to project a laser based keyboard onto a table. That would definitely be considered a wow-feature that could excite consumers. Of course, that's if they actually get it to market before the completion steals their idea, which is highly likely.

Apple's Patent Background

Depth sensing is an estimate or determination of the depth of an object as viewed from another object or a person. Most current devices that include a depth sensing function may require complicated and expensive sensors, which may in turn require complicated algorithms in order to process data collected by the sensors. However, depth or distance determination may be useful for many devices. For example, cameras may produce better images based on depth data of an object, as a lens of the camera may better focus on an object when the object's depth is known.

Some cameras may include an auto focusing feature. The auto focus feature may be able to determine by approximation or iteration the approximate distance of an object in order to focus a lens on an object. For example, the auto focus may sample different images or sensor readings and with each sample, the auto focus may adjust accordingly until the proper focus is achieved. Other auto focus techniques may include transmitting a sound wave or an infrared signal. For either of these wave methods, the camera transmits a wave and then captures or monitors the wave. The camera may then determine the values of the reflected wavelength and determine the distance the object is from the camera. For example, the time difference between the time that an infrared light wave pulse is produced and when it is received back after reflection allows the camera to estimate the distance to the object.

A New Depth Perception System

Apple's patent relates to a system for determining a distance to an object. The system includes a first image capturing device, which may include a lens and an image sensor. The system also includes a first laser source. The first laser source is configured to emit a fan shaped laser beam to intersect at least a portion of a field of view of the image capturing device.

Apple's patent covers the use of a depth perception system on future computers and mobile devices such as the iPhone and iPad. They system may include a processor and a camera which may be in communication with the processor. Additionally, the electronic device includes a first laser source configured to emit a first fan shaped laser beam to intersect at least a portion of a field of view (FOV) of the camera.

Yet other examples of the disclosure may include a depth detection device. The device may include a lens and an image sensor configured to capture an image of light transmitted through the lens. The device may also include a laser source configured to emit a laser beam trackable by the lens and having a width that increases in dimensions away from the laser source.

A Future iMac with Integrated Depth Perception System

In Apple's patent FIG. 12 noted below we see an example of a future iMac with a new depth perception system integrated into it. In this example, the iMac is able to detect a user approaching it and activate a particular program, application, awake from sleep or power save mode, and the like. In this example, the iMac is incorporated with the system shown as a side view in patent FIG. 8 below. In this manner, the iMac includes an iSight camera and the first laser source 204a and the second laser source 204b positioned underneath the display screen. In this manner, the beams 206a, 206b may include different angles, so as to be able to project onto an object or user positioned at a various heights and/or angles.

In patent FIG. 12, we see a user positioned in front of this future iMac such that the first and second beams 206a, 206b may at least partially intersect the user. The iMac's updated iSight Camera will be able to determine the distance that the user is from iMac. The depth perception system increases the sensitivity of user detection for the iMac so that it could make a distinction between the user and an occupied chair. As one beam 206a is angled upwards it may be positioned to be higher than a chair. In this manner the system may be able to detect when a user approaches, as both beams 206a, 206b will be projected off an object.

About the Laser Source

According to Apple, the laser source may be substantially any type of device configured to produce a light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation (laser) beam or other coherent directional beam of light. The laser source may include an active laser material (e.g., ruby, helium-neon, argon, semiconductor), a source of excitation energy (e.g. electricity, optical energy), and a resonator or feedback mechanism (e.g., a mirror).

For example, the laser source may be a gas laser that may discharge gas to amply light coherently, a solid-state laser, a semiconductor or diode laser, a photonic crystal laser, and so on. Furthermore, the laser source may be configured to emit light having substantially any range of wavelengths. For example, the laser beams noted in patent FIGS. 8 and 12 above may be visible, infrared, near infrared, medium wavelength infrared, long wavelength infrared, or far infrared. The beam may be able to be captured or otherwise determined by a sensor. The laser source may be configured to emit the beam as a particular shape (e.g., fan-shaped) or may include a filter or cap including an aperture in order to direct the beam 106 into the desired shape (triangle, circle etc).

Alternate Design

In an alternate design, Apple's patent FIG. 7 shown below presents us with a top view of a second embodiment of the system for determining depth. In this embodiment, the system may include an array of image capturing devices 202a, 202b and 202c. The laser source may project the beam so as to at least partially intersect a portion of a FOV 208a, 208b, 208c of each image capturing device 202a, 202b, 202c. In this embodiment, the total FOV for the system may be increased. In one example, the total FOV for the system may be approximately 180.degree.

Apple iPad with Laser Projected Keyboard

In Apple's patent FIG. 11A shown below, we see the depth perception system incorporated into a mobile electronic device such as an iPad. In this example, the system may be used in combination with a projected control panel 115 (such as a keyboard, audio/video controls, and so on). The control panel 115 may be a light pattern projected from a light source onto a surface (e.g., table or desk), the control panel 115 may include different light shapes, colors, or the like for representing different inputs.

The system may determine the selection of a particular button or input of the control panel by determining the depth of a user's finger, a stylus, or other input mechanism. The depth of the object may then be compared to a distance of each key or button of the control panel 115. Additionally, the system may provide for an enhanced projected control panel 115, which may allow for mobile electronic devices to decrease in size as a keyboard, or other input mechanism may be able to be projected larger than the mobile electronic device.

Remember, this could also apply to Apple's iPhone as well which would indicate that there would be some kind of associated smart cover or built-in stand so that the projected keyboard could function properly onto a surface. Apple's Smart Cover for the iPad may suffice or Apple could introduce a built-in kickstand as their September 2012 patent suggests.

Other Applications

Apple notes that their invention could apply to other devices such as an iPhone, iPad, MacBook or an auto focus camera wherein the system may determine the depth of an object and the lens may then be automatically adjusted to focus on that depth. Apple also foresees this new depth perception system applying to automobiles (e.g., virtual locks, stereo controls, etc.), digital video recorders, security systems and more.

Patent Credits

Apple credits David Gere as the sole inventor of this patent application which was originally filed under serial number 193561 in Q3 2011. David was also credited for another patent that we covered in March 2012 titled "Apple Invents a Killer 3D Imaging Camera for iOS Devices." Here's another related patent on this subject that we posted in November titled "Apple Advances their Multi-Level Presence Sensing System."

A Word about Today's Continuation Patents

On another note, itt should be noted that the US Patent and Trademark Office did in fact publish a series of older continuation patents today dating back to between 2008 and 2011. The continuation patents listed below are specifically referenced as such under the section titled "Cross-Reference to Related Applications." Generally speaking, this type of patent application contains modifications that Apple's legal team have made to the original patent claims in an effort to have the US Patent Office finally approve their invention. In general continuation patents don't represent any new developments from the original patent filing. Some websites mistakenly report on continuation patents as if they were new Apple filings to which they are not. Here are the older continuation patents that were published today by the US Patent Office:

1. 2010 Patent on Apple's iPad Smart Cover titled "Accessory Device with Magnetic Attachment."

2. 2010 Patent titled "Printed Circuit Board Radio Frequency Shielding Structures"
3. 2008 Patent titled "Methods and Systems for Wireless Networks with Relays
4. 2010 Patent titled "MAC Packet Data Unit Construction for Wireless System"
5. 2010 Patent titled "Relaying System and Method with Partner Relays and Selective Transmission."
6. 2009 Patent titled "Peer-to-Peer N-Way Synching in a Decentralized Environment"
7. While not officially a continuation patent, Apple's published patent application titled "Touch Screen Device, Method, and Graphical User Interface for Moving On-Screen Objects Without Using a Cursor" is an invention that incorporates multiple Apple patent filings dating back to between the years 2003 and 2008. Click here to review this older yet key invention.

Patently Apple presents a detailed summary of patent applications with associated graphics for journalistic news purposes as each such patent application is revealed by the U.S. Patent & Trade Office. Readers are cautioned that the full text of any patent application should be read in its entirety for full and accurate details. Revelations found in patent applications shouldn't be interpreted as rumor or fast-tracked according to rumor timetables. About Comments: Patently Apple reserves the right to post, dismiss or edit comments.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...-idevices.html

Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Supreme Leader

Rumor: Apple's next iPad mini to pack 324ppi Retina display

By Kevin Bostic
appleinsider.com
Monday, February 04, 2013

The follow-up to Apple's iPad mini will reportedly feature a Retina display with a pixel density of 324 pixels per inch ó higher even than the display on the fourth-generation iPad.

The rumor comes via investment news service BrightWire and cites sources close to Taiwanese Apple suppliers, who say that AU Optronics is piloting the production of a second-generation 7.9-inch iPad mini.

Current iPad mini resolution (left) vs. rumored iPad mini 2 resolution (right).

The resolution on the device is said to stand at 2,048 by 1,536 pixels, four times that of the current iPad mini and equal to that of the larger Retina iPad.

Packing the resolution of the larger iPad into the smaller version would allow Apple to have a high-resolution smaller device without making developers have to tailor their apps to yet another screen size. Apple did much the same with the introduction of the current iPad mini, which has the same resolution as the iPad 2.

Apple did add a new resolution to its lineup last fall, when the company launched the iPhone 5 with a taller 4-inch display. But because the iPhone 5 retains the same pixel width as its predecessors, legacy applications can run in a "letterbox" mode with unused space at the top and bottom of the screen.

Rumors of a high-density display in the next version of the iPad mini are nothing new, having persisted since the device's introduction. While Apple was criticized in some media outlets when the iPad mini debuted due to the lack a Retina-level display, the mini has seen strong sales in the months since its release. Supplies of the tablet have only recently begun to approach demand.

Rumor: Apple's next iPad mini to pack 324ppi Retina display

Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Supreme Leader

Rumor: Apple to Release iPhone 5S and 5-Inch iPhone 6 in 2013

www.brightwire.com

Source (Chinese): Sina Weibo - about 10 hours ago
  • A source told Chinese mobile phone information site Laoyaoba.com that he has seen the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 at Apple's suppliers. Both models may be released in 2013, according to the website's microblog on Thursday evening.
  • The source noted that the iPhone 5S resembles the iPhone 5, and the five-inch iPhone 6 is lighter and thinner.
  • Source: Sina Tech is the technology-related news section of Sina.com, a major online media company based in China.
https://www.brightwire.com/news/2639...hone-6-in-2013

Old 02-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Supreme Leader

Disruptions: Where Apple and Dick Tracy May Converge

By NICK BILTON
New York Times
February 10, 2013

From left: Tribune Media Services, Associated Press, Don Feria/Apple via Getty Images Dick Tracy and James Bond had watches that served as computers. Tim Cook of Apple wears a Nike FuelBand, which tracks his physical activity.

Dick Tracy had one. As did Inspector Gadget and James Bond. A watch that doubled as a computer, two-way radio, mapping device or television.

Though such a device has been lost to science fiction comics and spy movies of the era before smartphones, the smart watch might soon become a reality, in the form of a curved glass device made by Apple.

In its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., Apple is experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass, according to people familiar with the companyís explorations, who spoke on the condition that they not be named because they are not allowed to publicly discuss unreleased products. Such a watch would operate Appleís iOS platform, two people said, and stand apart from competitors based on the companyís understanding of how such glass can curve around the human body.

Apple declined to comment on its plans. But the exploration of such a watch leaves open lots of exciting questions: If the company does release such a product, what would it look like?

Would it include Siri, the voice assistant? Would it have a version of Appleís map software, offering real-time directions to people walking down the street? Could it receive text messages? Could it monitor a userís health or daily activity? How much will it cost? Could Timothy D. Cook, Appleís chief executive, be wearing one right now, whispering sweet nothings to his wrist?

Such a watch could also be used to make mobile payments, with Appleís Passbook payment software.

Although it would take Dick Tracy to find the answers to those questions, and itís uncertain when Apple might unveil such a device, itís clear that Apple has the technology.

Last year, Corning, the maker of the ultra-tough Gorilla Glass that is used in the iPhone, announced that it had solved the difficult engineering challenge of creating bendable glass, called Willow Glass, that can flop as easily as a piece of paper in the wind without breaking.
Pete Bocko, the chief technology officer for Corning Glass Technologies, who worked on Willow Glass, said via telephone that the company had been developing the thin, flexible glass for more than a decade, and that the technology had finally arrived.

ďYou can certainly make it wrap around a cylindrical object and that could be someoneís wrist,Ē Mr. Bocko said. ďRight now, if I tried to make something that looked like a watch, that could be done using this flexible glass.Ē

But Mr. Bocko warns that it is still quite an engineering feat to create a foldable device. ďThe human body moves in unpredictable ways,Ē he said. ďItís one of the toughest mechanical challenges.Ē

Corning Corningís Willow Glass can wrap around a cylindrical object, like someoneís wrist.

To add to the excitement of an Apple watch, late last year the Chinese gadget site Tech.163 reported that the company had begun development of a watch featuring Bluetooth and a 1.5-inch display.

ďAppleís certainly made a lot of hiring in that area,Ē said Sarah Rotman Epps, a Forrester analyst who specializes in wearable computing and smartphones. ďApple is already in the wearable space through its ecosystem partners that make accessories that connect to the iPhone,Ē she said, adding: ďThis makes Apple potentially the biggest player of the wearables market in a sort of invisible way.Ē

ďOver the long term wearable computing is inevitable for Apple; devices are diversifying and the human body is a rich canvas for the computer,Ē Ms. Epps said. ďBut Iím not sure how close we are to a new piece of Apple hardware that is worn on the body.Ē

Investors would most likely embrace an iWatch, with some already saying that wearable computing could replace the smartphone over the next decade.

ďWe believe technology could progress to a point where consumers have a tablet plus wearable computers, like watches or glasses, that enable simple things like voice calls, texting, quick searches, navigation,Ē Gene Munster, an analyst at Piper Jaffray, said in a report last month. ďThese devices are likely to be cheaper than an iPhone and could ultimately be Appleís best answer to addressing emerging markets.Ē

Mr. Cook is clearly interested in wearables. In the past he has been seen sporting a Nike FuelBand, which tracks a userís daily exertion. The FuelBand data is shared wirelessly with an iPhone app.

Bob Mansfield, Appleís senior vice president for technologies, who previously ran hardware engineering, has also been particularly interested in wearables, an Apple employee said. Mr. Mansfield is engrossed by devices that connect to the iPhone, through Bluetooth, sharing information back-and-forth from the human body to the phone, including the Nike FuelBand and Jawbone Up.

If smartphones do become smart watches and smart glasses, Apple seems to have the technology to make standout wearable computers.

Last year the company filed patents for displays that sit over the eye and stream information to the retina. Given that the iPod Nano is about the size of an overfed ant, the company clearly knows how to make small devices, too.

But, maybe there are other devices coming before wearables. Apple has long been rumored to be working on a television-like experience. And, there is the possibility of an Apple car.

In a meeting in his office before he died, Steven P. Jobs, Appleís co-founder and former chief executive, told John Markoff of The New York Times that if he had more energy, he would have liked to take on Detroit with an Apple car.

In August, during the companyís patent trial with Samsung, Philip W. Schiller, Appleís senior vice president for worldwide product marketing, said on the stand that Apple had explored making ďcrazy stuffĒ before development of the iPhone and iPad, including a camera or a car.

While Apple continues its experiments with wearables, its biggest competitor, Google, is pressing ahead with plans to make wearable computers mainstream.

According to a Google executive who spoke on the condition that he not be named, the company hopes its wearable glasses, with a display that sits above the eye, will become 3 percent of revenue by 2015. Olympus is also working on wearable computers.

Google is holding private workshops in San Francisco and New York for developers to start building applications for its glasses. At the event in San Francisco last week, Hosain Rahman, chief executive of Jawbone, the maker of the Up, a wrist device that tracks peopleís energy and sleep, said that ďa decade from now we wonít be able to imagine life without the wearables that we use to access information, unlock our doors, pay for goods, and most importantly track our health.Ē

Disruptions: Apple Is Said to Be Developing a Curved-Glass Smart Watch - NYTimes.com

Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 AM
Supreme Leader

Proof Appleís Planning an iPhone 5S and a Cheaper iPhone Is in Your Pocket

Josh Smith ó
GottaBeMobile : iPhone, Android and Mobile News & Reviews
02/11/2013

Apple is rumored to announce the iPhone 5S and a cheaper iPhone later this year, possibly as soon as June, but the biggest proof that Apple is planning a cheaper iPhone is in your pocket, or at least it was before you upgraded to your new iPhone.

Apple already offers a cheaper iPhone, but itís one the company doesnít get a cut of, and if thereís one thing Apple hates, itís missing a cut of the action.

According to a new look at the resale market for old iPhones, your two-year-old iPhone is living a second life as a cheap iPhone in Vietnam and other countries where Apple is likely to sell the rumored cheap iPhone.

Demand for old iPhones like the iPhone 4 is proof of demand for the cheaper iPhone.

In a recent interview with Business Insider, CEO of Gazelle Isreal Ganot shared details about what happens after you sell your old iPhone to a company like Gazelle. In the example, Gazelle buys your old iPhone for around $200 and then sells it to a wholesaler who ships around 50% of the old iPhones back to Shenzen, where the iPhone is made. From here the two-year-old iPhone makes its way to Vietnam and other countries where there is demand for a cheaper iPhone.

Ganot claims, Apple loves Gazelle for getting users in these markets hooked on iPhone apps and the ecosystem, but just like in the App Store, Apple likely wants a cut of this sale. At the very least, Gazelleís supply of used cheap iPhones to Asia is proof of pent up demand for a cheap iPhone in countries where users want the a real iPhone rather than an iPhone 5 knockoff.

The easiest way to do this is to release a cheaper iPhone. Rumors suggest Apple will sell a cheaper iPhone for $250 to $350 without a contract. This is close to the cost of the Nexus 4, an Android device which proved vastly more popular than Google and LG estimated. Itís likely that Apple will focus the cheaper iPhone on markets like China rather than inside the U.S.

If Apple wants a cut of these sales, the iPhoneís gross margin is high enough, dramatically higher than the rest of Appleís lineup, that the company can make a cheap iPhone without going broke.

The cheaper iPhone would likely feature the same 4-inch screen size as the iPhone 5 and as we expect in the iPhone 5S, and could feature a design that is slightly larger than the iPhone 5 and made of plastic and not aluminum or glass. These cheaper iPhone details come via iLounge, which has a good track record for Apple rumors.

The iPhone 5S is the name rumored for Appleís flagship iPhone and iPhone 5 successor. The latest rumors point to an iPhone 5S with the same looks as the iPhone 5, but with a better camera and possibly new features like a built-in fingerprint reader. The iPhone 5S is almost certain to arrive at the same price as the iPhone 5 on carriers and unlocked. This allows Apple to launch the cheaper iPhone and the iPhone 5S without cutting into sales of the higher-end iPhone 5S. This is similar to how Apple already sells older iPhone models on contract at U.S. carriers.

It is possible that Apple will announce the iPhone 5S and cheaper iPhone at WWDC 2013 in June, with a release soon after, though it is possible that Apple will stick with the fall release schedule.

Also wrapped up in the iPhone rumors is talk of an iPhone 6 with a 5-inch display, which come claim will also launch in 2013.

Proof of an iPhone 5S and a Cheaper iPhone Is in Your Pocket

Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 AM
Supreme Leader

Apple Said to Have Team Developing Wristwatch Computer

By Peter Burrows & Adam Satariano - Feb 12, 2013 9:01 PM PT
Bloomberg - Business, Financial & Economic News, Stock Quotes

Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook is facing pressure from shareholders who have seen the stock slump more than 30 percent since a September high.

Apple Inc. has a team of about 100 product designers working on a wristwatch-like device that may perform some of the tasks now handled by the iPhone and iPad, two people familiar with the companyís plans said.

The team, which has grown in the past year, includes managers, members of the marketing group, and software and hardware engineers who previously worked on the iPhone and iPad, said the people, who asked not to be named because the plans are private. The teamís size suggests Apple is beyond the experimentation phase in its development, said the people.

Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook is facing pressure from shareholders who have seen the stock slump more than 30 percent since a September high amid slowing sales growth and competition from rivals such as Samsung Electronics Co. Without a revolutionary new gadget that commands a higher price, investors are concerned about falling margins and increased competition.
ďThe iWatch will fill a gaping hole in the Apple ecosystem,Ē Bruce Tognazzini, a technology consultant and former Apple employee, wrote in a blog post last week. ďLike other breakthrough Apple products, its value will be underestimated at launch, then grow to have a profound impact on our lives and Appleís fortunes.Ē

Natalie Kerris, a spokeswoman for Cupertino, California- based Apple, declined to comment yesterday. Previously, the New York Times reported that Apple was working on a watch-like device.

Wearable Computers

Appleís James Foster, senior director of engineering, and Achim Pantfoerder, another manager, are part of the efforts to introduce a wristwatch-style computer, according to the people. Apple has worked on wearable devices for tracking fitness in the past and never brought them to market, said one of the people.

Creating a watch involves unique challenges, particularly managing power demands so that the battery doesnít need to be recharged every day. Google Inc. has been working on eyeglass- embedded computers and plans to introduce them in 2014.

The introduction of a wearable computing device may signal a new direction for the consumer-electronics industry. Appleís debut of the iPhone in 2007 and iPad in 2010 created the market for touch-screen smartphones and tablet computers that have been followed by companies such as Google, Samsung and Microsoft Corp.

Apple is right to invest in products such as watches, even if they donít result in commercial products, said Josh Spencer, a fund manager at T. Rowe Price Group Inc.

ďThereís more people that would wear an Apple watch than would wear Google glasses,Ē Spencer said.

Wearable machines for tracking fitness are already on the market from Nike Inc., Fitbit Inc. and other manufacturers.

Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., which assembles the iPhone, in 2001 invested in startup WIMM Labs, which designed a watch with a screen, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Apple Said to Have Team Developing Wristwatch Computer - Bloomberg

Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 AM
Supreme Leader

The Fall TV Lineup May Include Apple Dominating Gaming

Mg Siegler http://techcrunch.com
2/15/2012

What Iím about to say is undoubtedly going to piss some of you off. And thatís fine. Because in a few years, Iíll be right and youíll look silly.

While everyone is focused on the next generation video game consoles from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft ó the latter two of which should be coming later this year ó Apple is going to dominate them all. And it wonít even be that difficult.

Now, itís not like this is a completely insane notion. Anyone who has been following the smartphone space for the past few years knows that Apple has sort of backed into video game dominance by way of their iOS devices. Apple has sold over 500 million of them. These devices have yielded over 40 billion downloads of the over 800,000 apps. And a large portion of those apps are games.

To put that in perspective, Microsoft has sold roughly 75 million Xbox 360s worldwide ó and that product launched over seven years ago. The iPhone ó the first iOS device ó launched five and a half years ago. And there were no third-party games until a year after that.

Sonyís sales for the PS3 are nearly identical to the Microsoft numbers (it just took the worldwide lead from the 360). Nintendo has sold roughly 100 million Wiis since it went on sale just over six years ago. They have also sold about 150 million handheld DSes since 2004 (if you add all the varieties together).

Even if you lump together the Xbox 360, the Playstation 3, the Wii, and the Nintendo DS, Apple has still sold about 100 million more iOS devices than all of those systems combined. And again, in a much shorter span.

Perhaps because the iOS devices are multi-purpose devices, you donít see a lot of comparisons between something like the iPad and the Xbox/Playstation/Wii. Those are video game consoles, you see. Totally different, they say.

Not for long, I say.

A couple days ago, Nat Brown, one of the founders of the Xbox team within Microsoft, took to his blog to absolutely destroy the current state of that product. His entire critique is worth the read, but one thing in particular stuck out to me:
Apple, if it chooses to do so, will simply kill Playstation, Wii-U and xBox by introducing an open 30%-cut app/game ecosystem for Apple-TV. I already make a lot of money on iOS Ė I will be the first to write apps for Apple-TV when I can, and I know Iíll make money.
Yes, a creator of the Xbox is basically begging Apple to give us an Apple TV SDK so that he can write games for it. And thatís exactly what theyíre going to do.

The rumor that Apple would unveil some sort of Apple TV SDK at an event next month turned out to be bogus (as most things analysts say about Apple prove to be). But that doesnít mean itís not coming. In fact, Iíd bet on it sooner rather than later.

I havenít heard anything specific about the SDK, but the chatter about Appleís broader television plans has been picking up. And if that chatter is to believed, something is happening this fall ó likely late fall. As always with Apple, those plans are subject to change (and, in fact, have changed a few times in the past ó see: ďProject SphereĒ). As you might imagine, content deals remain a bitch, yet remain vital to such a project. But multiple sources suggest everything is finally lining up for this fall.

But.

Itís not entirely clear if this means an actual television itself or some other sort of newfangled Apple TV device.

But it actually doesnít matter. Apps are the key.

So if you believe that Appleís living room plans are going to come into focus this fall, you should probably also be ready for some sort of developer announcement in the months leading up to the fall. Maybe that comes at WWDC. Maybe later.

Sure, it is possible that Apple could launch some sort of new TV-centric hardware with only a few apps built closely with a handful of selected partners. But that would be a bit of a letdown ó thatís essentially the Apple TV right now. People wants apps. Developers want to make apps. And apps are what will make or break Appleís foray into the space.

We all know the current Apple TV is already running iOS (even if Apple dances around directly stating it). And we know that the Apple TV is running on the same type of hardware stack that iPhones/iPads/iPod touches run on. The thing is ready to go. All Apple has to do is flip a switch.

Okay, itís not that simple, but you get the point. Right now, out in the wild, there are over 10 million Apple TVs ó the majority of which are already capable of running iOS apps. Sure, they may look less than ideal scaled up to television screen sizes, but theyíd work. You can already get a preview to some extent using AirPlay.

If Iím right that Apple will want to seed the app ecosystem before their big launch in the fall, I suspect theyíll have developers use the current Apple TVs to test such apps. Perhaps this has something to do with the recent pay-no-attention-to-the-man-behind-the-curtain upgrade.

And itís entirely possible that Apple will take a larger two-pronged approach. That is, keeping a $99 Apple TV (which would be enabled to run apps) alongside any more robust television product.

This is all speculation, of course. But while everyone is busy focusing on the hardware, theyíre looking past the obvious software advantage of anything Apple does in the living room. The 800,000 apps wonít translate directly, but in two categories in particular: video and video games, Apple is going to dominate where their rivals cannot simply because of the support of small, third-party app developers.

Thatís why Nat Brown is so dead-on above. Microsoft and the rest had the opportunity to be first-movers here and they blew it. They focused on traditional game makers and traditional content providers. They focused on extending the traditional PC hardware paradigm. Itís going to be death by 100,000 apps.

(By the way, just to be clear, Iím not ruling out something like OUYA or another Android-based system coming into the space to shake it up as well. But I believe controlling the hardware and software experience will be important, just as it is in the other hot devices right now.)

When I talk about this, people mistakenly think Iím saying that games like Call of Duty are going away. Of course theyíre not. These types of hardcore games clearly have their audience and will continue to do very well. I simply believe two things:

1) That the Apple TV is already nearly powerful enough to run such games. Perhaps not the highest of the high end, but give it a year or two. Thatís the thing: Apple will likely push yearly hardware (and software) updates for anything they do. Microsoft has not updated the Xbox in over 7 years. Huge mistake.

2) That the audience for non-hardcore games when Apple opens up an Apple TV SDK will be much larger than the audience for the hardcore games.

Apple will not win this space by playing the game that Microsoft, Sony, and to some extent, Nintendo, are playing. They will win by changing the rules of the game. And that game is all about developers, developers, developers, developers. Which is perhaps the most delicious twist one could ever imagine.

The Fall TV Lineup May Include Apple Dominating Gaming | TechCrunch

Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Supreme Leader

Apple's Rumored iWatch as an 'Even More Personal Personal Computer'

Former Apple executive Jean-Louis Gassťe shares his perspective on Apple's rumored "iWatch", noting that the company likely has very ambitious plans for the device given its focus on continually pushing forward the concept of a "personal computer".

Quote:
[W]hat really floats their [boats], what hardens Apple's resolve is designing, making, and selling large numbers of personal computers, from the traditional desktop/laptop Mac, to the genre-validating iPad, and on to the iPhone -- the Very Personal Computer. Everything else is an ingredient, a booster, a means to the noblest end.

After walking through how Apple's iTunes Store, retail effort, software, and Apple TV all serve as ancillary offerings to support this positioning of the company's primary products as increasingly personal computers, Gassťe argues that the iWatch is the next step in this progression and thus Apple will do much more than simply slap a previous-generation iPod nano into a wristband.

Quote:
Is Apple working on an iWatch that can be experienced as an Even More Personal personal computer -- an "intimate computer"? If so, many questions arise: user interface, sensors, iOS version, new types of apps, connection with other iDevices... And, of course price.

This would be much more interesting than the perennially in-the-future Apple TV set. Of course, iWatch and Apple TV aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Gassťe's piece comes just as British newspaper The Observer has produced its own mockup of what an iWatch might look like given claims of Apple using Corning's bendable Willow Glass for the device.

There is no reason to believe that The Observer has any more insight into the strongly rumored Apple research project than anyone else, but the graphics which accompany the article reproduced on the sister-paper Guardian website do give an interesting feel for the difference a curved glass display could make to a smart watch and the article offers an overview of how Apple might fit into the smart watch market still in its infancy.

Article Link: Apple's Rumored iWatch as an 'Even More Personal Personal Computer'

Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Supreme Leader

Leaked iPad Mini Images Hint at Retina Display

After only four months on the market, the iPad mini is a certified hit with consumers. But perhaps the only knock against the device has been related to its display, which falls slightly behind similarly sized tablets such as the Nexus 7 $294.99 at Amazon and the Amazon Kindle Fire HD. However, if new leaked images are any clue, Apple may be about to remedy that issue in the device's next update.

In a post on China's WeiPhone, which was picked up by mobile device site Mobilespie, one forum member uploaded a set of photos showing off what looks to be an updated back casing for the iPad mini. Sporting an odd, possibly pre-production blue Apple logo, the case has all the design elements associated with the current iPad mini, however, upon closer inspection of the images, the back casing appears to be slightly thicker than the current version.

A thicker housing would support the notion, rumored almost since the launch of the first iPad mini, that Apple would have to slightly increase the device's thickness in order to support a higher-resolution Retina display. Of course, considering the high volume of bootleg gadgets produced in China, any images originating from the region are just as likely to be counterfeit knockoffs. Nevertheless, after perusing the various close-up angles of the new back casing, the authentic appearance of the hardware is difficult to dismiss.

To WeiPhone's credit, the site did produce an accurate preview of the iPad 3's logic board nearly nine months before the device's official debut. This, along with other confirmed Apple information leaks, gives the site a decent amount of credibility. Speculation aside, the excitement around a new iPad mini with a Retina display indicates that the device, which some believe represents the proper form factor for Apple's tablet line, remains strong even in the face of growing competition.

Leaked iPad Mini Images Hint at Retina Display | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 AM
Supreme Leader

Picture of 5th-generation Apple iPad case shows slimmer body, thinner bezels

Phone Arena - Phone News, Reviews and Specs
Posted:
22 Feb 2013, 23:28, by Alan F.
Categories: Apple Tablets

.Think about how hard it must be to run a company that makes cases for the Apple iPhone or Apple iPad. To get your product out before the competition, you have to take a gamble when it comes time to start producing your product for the next-generation model. You try to get as much information as you can, cultivating sources that hopefully will give you the information you need.

In the middle is MiniSuit's case for the 5th-gen Apple iPad

What we have in the picture accompanying this article, is a picture that includes a case made by MiniSuit that it says will fit the 5th-generation Apple iPad. The company says it got the specs and design from a reliable source. Based on the design of the case, the next full-sized iPad will apparently take its design cue from the Apple iPad mini. It will have a sleeker, narrower design with thinner bezels on both sides of the display. Some other changes from the fourth-gen iPad include the relocation of the microphone from the top to the back of the device

Sound familiar? That is because earlier on Friday we passed along a rumor that the 5th-gen iPad will be launched in the third quarter of this year and will arrive with a re-design offering thinner bezels similar to the iPad mini, and a sleeker design. Amazing how two completely different sources can come up with the same information. Well, almost the same information. According to MiniSuit, the new iPad will launch in June.

Picture of 5th-generation Apple iPad case shows slimmer body, thinner bezels

Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 AM
Supreme Leader

Siri vs. Google Search

Rob Griffiths @rgriff

Siri, are you the most amazing feature on the iPhone? If youíve seen any Apple advertising at all, you may come to the conclusion that Siri is indeed the slickest feature available on any phone ever made. You may be surprised to learn, though, that Siri isnít the only speech-recognizing search-assistant available on the iPhone, and that it may not even be the best one.

Is Google better?

Recently, Google added voice-input capabilities to its free Google Search app for iOS devices. If you havenít tried that out yet, I highly recommend you do: I find the app's voice input so useful that Iíve given Google Search a spot in my Dock and have essentially retired Siri from everyday use. (Another advantage: Googleís voice search also works on older iOS devices that donít support Siri, such as the iPhone 4; it runs on any device that supports iOS 4.3 or newer.)

Whatís so good about Googleís voice search, especially on a device that comes with Siri already? The best way to answer that question is with a test. I posed the same four questions to Siri and the Google Search app.
  • How do you spell exuberant?
  • Who won the Trailblazers basketball game last night?
  • How do you make vanilla ice cream?
  • How high is Mount Kilimanjaro?
So howíd it work out? See for yourself: (Go to original web page to watch video here Siri vs. Google Search | Macworld

For each question, I started a timer when I started speaking, and stopped it as soon as there were usable results on the screen. While this method ignores the time it takes to launch Google compared to launching Siri, I think it fairly compares the actual speed of each language-parsing engine.

The video demonstrates some key differences between Google and Siri. For instance, instead of sending a recording of my voice to a server, converting the speech to text, and then sending the text and search results back to my device (as Siri does), Google seems to be doing the voice-to-text conversion directly in the app: Words appear on the screen nearly as quickly as theyíre spoken. Itís nice seeing what Iím saying in near real time, as itís easy to see if the words are being recognized correctly. Google also catches and capitalizes words such as Trailblazers and Kilimanjaro as theyíre spoken. Itís a little thing, but itís a nice touch that makes the assistant seem that much more personal.

Google also speaks out many of its resultsóthe spelling of exuberant and the height of Mount Kilimanjaro, for example. Siri often just displays text on the screen; even if she does speak, what she says isnít always very helpful. (ďOK, Rob, here you go.Ē) Siriís text displays can be quite nice (the Trailblazers box score, for instance), but I prefer hearing the results to just looking at them.

Finally and importantly, Google is much faster than Siri, and sometimes dramatically so. In total, Google was able to answer my four questions in about 15 seconds, whereas Siri took about 26. Thatís a lot of time spent waiting for Siri.

Stumping Siri

The time differences were most dramatic when I asked Siri a question she couldnít answer: Siri took twice as long as Google with my vanilla ice cream question. Technically, she would have taken even longer, as Iíd have to tell her that I did indeed want to search the Web for an answer, then wait for those results to appear. It seems obvious to me that if I ask Siri a question and she doesnít know the answer, she should just look it upówhy force me to basically ask twice for the same information?

Siri is also much slower than Google when you ask her a question that requires her to use another service, such as asking about the height of Mount Kilimanjaro. Siriís results come from Wolfram Alpha, so youíve got to wait through a two-stage process to see the results. And again, Siri ever-so-usefully tells you, ďThis might answer your question,Ē instead of simply stating the mountainís height (as Google does). Google does great with fact-based queries because, well, itís a search engine and thatís pretty much what it was designed to do.

Siri does have one key advantage over Google, of course: Sheís never more than a press-and-hold away from activation. This alone will keep many people using Siri. To use Google, I have to make a conscious effort to first switch to the app, which is why Iíve added it to the Dock. (I tried using Siri to launch Google, but unfortunately, I also have Google Earth installed. If I tell Siri to ďlaunch Google,Ē she always asks me which one I want to launch, despite the fact that I clearly did not say ďlaunch Google Earth.Ē Argh.)

Because of the speed, accuracy, and usefulness of Googleís search results, Iíve pretty much stopped using Siri. Sure, it takes a bit of extra effort to get started, but for me, that effort is worth it. Google has taken a key feature of the iOS ecosystem and made it seem more than a little antiquated. When your main competitor is shipping something that works better, faster, and more intuitively than your built-in solution, I'd hope that'd drive you to improve your built-in solution. So how about it, Apple? Can we have a non-beta Sirióyes, itís still technically prereleaseóthatís a more worthy competitor for Googleís voice-powered search tool?

Siri vs. Google Search | Macworld

Old 03-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Supreme Leader

Low-priced edition iPhone is not cheap iPhone but Pop iPhone?

2013年03月01日(金) |
MACā®ēůä”íŤíc

As a talk of the informed sources who can trust it, next iPhone has a high possibility that a dual light-emitting-diode flush which "STREAM 201HW" of HUAWEI, "Ascend HW-01E", "HTC Desire HD" of HTC, etc. have adopted is carried.

Although it seems that it is the aim to raise a quantity of light, if it carries out by accident, I may become the oblong type flush built in the compact digital camera.

Although there is no magnitude varying of next iPhone as the present iPhone 5, the inner side of a package may become thick and the resilience may be increasing rather than the current model.

While various informations fly about, as for a 4.5-inch liquid-crystal model, a plan will be postponed to sale in 2014.

Although low-priced edition iPhone was in the status where I cannot check whether it is carbon and whether it is polycarbonate, its a possibility of being a model which uses a polycarbonate Blank too seems to be high.

The informed sources are saying that, as for iPhone of this polycarbonate Blank, a place, a size, etc. of liquid-crystal magnitude and a home button do not have a difference fundamentally compared with iPhone 5.

Textures of the polycarbonate package in which the glossy clear coat processing was carried out,I have the textures near the front side of education-oriented MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010), it is thought that I become a package by metallic mold fabrication, and it is thought that various colour models are prepared by the color polycarbonate Blank.

Probably in order to maintain a resilience, thickness is increasing, but the informed sources are saying that it is only a level that is not different from having equipped iPhone 5 with the casing made from polycarbonate.

It is thought that a cost will be supplied from the number of many of iPhone Userses being 20 as a more pop and sociable model to an Android Users being based on the 30th generation rather than for China although 330 dollars is made into the marker.

ŚĽČšĺ°ÁČąiPhone„ĀĮ„ÄĀŚģČ„ĀĄiPhone„Āß„ĀĮ„Ā™„ĀŹPOP„Ā ™iPhoneÔľü | Rumor | Mac„ĀäŚģĚťĎĎŚģöŚõ£ blogÔľąÁĺÖťáĚÁõ§ÔľČ

Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Supreme Leader

iPhone 5S planned for August, next iPads may debut as soon as April

By Rene Ritchie, Tuesday, Mar 5, 2013 a 1:20 am
http://www.imore.com

iMore has learned that Apple is planning the release of the iPhone 5S for this summer, currently for August. Next generation iPads, presumably the iPad 5 and potentially the iPad mini 2, may also debut as soon as this April.

Sources familiar with the plans have told iMore that the iPhone 5S does indeed have the same basic design as the iPhone 5, with a more advanced processor and an improved camera. With the iPhone 5, Apple reduced the thinness of the casing but managed to keep essentially the same, if not slightly better, overall quality. Given the dimensions, or lack-thereof, that in-and-of itself was a feat of engineering. With the iPhone 5S, the aim is to once again raise the bar in terms of iPhone optics, including a much better camera in essentially the same casing. No huge surprises there, given the past history of S-class iPhones.

We've also been told an April-ish launch is getting serious consideration for the next-generation iPads, but we're really not sure what to make of that yet. iPad 5 casings have already begun to leak -- the only big redesign in the line -- so that could make sense. Retina for the iPad mini, however, still doesn't sound imminent.

Apple is not going to release iPads that costs more or don't get as good battery life as the current models. So, if the next iPad mini does end up getting slated for April, it could be a spec bump, or have something other than Retina as a differentiator. Hopefully we'll know more soon.

Much of this information matches other recent rumors, though the timelines do differ slightly. Details can and do change, sometimes repeatedly. However, the broad strokes for Apple's 2013 iOS lineup seem to be becoming clearer. Though, again, we're still sticking firm to the belief that hardware alone isn't enough, and iOS and iCloud will be the most important factors going forward.

If these plans stick, we should be in for a fun spring and summer.

iPhone 5S planned for August, next iPads may debut as soon as April | iMore.com

Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 AM
Supreme Leader

2013年03月06日(水) | Rumor
macotakara.jp

Foxconn、iPhone 5Sの生産を一部工場で開始?

MacRumorsが以前、JefferiesのアナリストPeter Misek氏は、iPhone 5Sの6月~7月発売に向け、3月から生産を開始すると予測していましたが、信頼出来る情報筋によ れば、FoxconnはiPhone 5Sの生産を一部工場で開始したようだと話しています。

iPhone 5と同じラインで生産されるようで、工程的な変化はほとんど無いようです。

また、NTTドコモが、2013年秋冬モデルのAndroid端末の発注数を減らしているようで、ライバル携帯電話会社は、こ の動きを、NTTドコモがiPhoneを扱うのではないかと予測しているようです。

しかし、シェア低下による予測生産数の見直しとも考えられます。

MacRumors reported that I predicted that Mr. analyst Peter Misek of Jefferies started production in March toward release before for from June to July of iPhone 5S, but, According to the informed sources who can trust it, Foxconn is talking with it seeming that I started a part of production of iPhone 5S at the plant.

It seems that most production-process alterations cannot be found so that it may be produced with the same line as iPhone 5.

It seems that moreover, NTT DoCoMo is seemingly reducing the number of orderings of the Android terminal of winter model in autumn of 2013, and the rival cellular phone company predicts this movement whether NTT DoCoMo treats iPhone.

関連エントリー

Foxconn

Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Supreme Leader

Supply chain to deliver next-generation iPhone components in May

Aaron Lee and Ninelu Tu, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 20 March 2013]
DIGITIMES daily IT news

Components for the next-generation iPhone will start shipping at the end of May with the new smartphone to have a chance of showing up in the third quarter, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

The new iPhone will not receive a major upgrade and may just be a slightly enhanced version of iPhone 5 (iPhone 5S), the sources said citing their latest specification data. Meanwhile, there are also rumors stating that Apple also plans to release an iPhone model using plastic chassis to push its global smartphone market share, the sources added.

With the orders, related component makers are expected to enjoy around 30% sequential growths in the second quarter. Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) chairman Terry Guo previously noted that the company's performance will start picking up after April or May. However, Foxconn declined to comment about its clients when asked about iPhone orders.

The sources pointed out that if the components are all shipped smoothly, manufacturers should be able to deliver the new iPhones to retail channels in 1-2 weeks for them to be ready to sell in the third quarter.

The iPhone 5S is expected to feature a higher-end processor as well as higher-megapixel camera modules, the sources said.

Apple is expected to ship 25-30 million iPhone 5s in the first quarter, down from 45 million units in the fourth quarter of 2012.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130320PD214.html

Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 AM
Supreme Leader

Apple expected to release Ultra HD TV

Julian Ho, Taipei; Alex Wolfgram,
DIGITIMES
[Tuesday 26 March 2013]

Apple is reportedly continuing to develop a TV rumored to be called the iTV, which is likely to support Ultra HD (3840 by 2160) along with voice and motion control functions and Internet connectivity, according to industry supply chain sources.

The sources said that Apple and Foxconn Electronics have been in discussions for quite some time in terms of the TV's mass production schedule, but that Apple has been considering where panel supply for the TV will come from, as Ultra HD TV panel makers, most of whom are based in Taiwan, are expected to be producing at nearly full capacity in 2013 in order to meet demand from China-based TV vendors.

Additionally, other panel makers in Apple's supply chain that may have the ability to produce Ultra HD TV panels are expected to allocate most of their panel production to the company's iPhone, iPad and iPad mini products instead, as ultra-mobile devices are expected to be popular in the market during 2013, the sources noted.

However, the sources added that Apple is banking on LG Display to be able to mass produce Ultra HD TV panels by the second half of the year. If LG is successful and has ample supply of the technology, Apple may try to release the TV by the end of 2013 but is more likely to do so towards the beginning of 2014.

Apple expected to release Ultra HD TV

Old 03-30-2013, 05:27 AM
Supreme Leader

Music Executive: 'iRadio is Coming', Apple Pushing for Summer Launch

3/30/2013

Negotiations between Apple and record companies regarding Apple's rumored 'iRadio' music service are progressing, The Verge reports as one tidbit in a larger article about the music industry in general.

The last report about Apple's streaming music service came earlier in March when Apple was reported to be offering half the royalty rate that Pandora pays for a similar product.
Quote:
Much has been written about Apple's plan to launch a Pandora-esque service this year. Now multiple music industry insiders have told The Verge that significant progress has been made in the talks with two of the top labels: Universal and Warner. One of the sources said "iRadio is coming. There's no doubt about it anymore." Apple is pushing hard for a summertime launch.

It has been reported in numerous publications that Apple wanted to launch its service sometime in 2013, but was having difficulties negotiating royalty rates that were satisfactory to both sides.

That Universal and Warner are the companies claimed to have made the most progress with Apple is noteworthy -- Universal was the last of the four major labels to sign onto Apple's iCloud service, while Warner has been wary of cloud-based services in the past.

Article Link: Music Executive: 'iRadio is Coming', Apple Pushing for Summer Launch

Old 04-02-2013, 06:00 AM
Supreme Leader

HD Voice Will Start Coming to AT&T Later This Year

AllThingsD
April 1, 2013 at 4:39 pm PT

Among the announcements that T-Mobile made last month was its plan to deploy improved voice calling starting with the arrival of its iPhone 5 later this month.

The technology, known as HD Voice, requires support from both the network and the devices on each end of the call.

Speaking on Monday, AT&T senior VP Kris Rinne said that the carrier will roll-out its own support for the technology later this year as it begins to route voice calling over its LTE network.

ďHD Voice is part of our voice over LTE strategy,Ē Rinne said, speaking at th VentureBeat Mobile Summit in Sausalito, Calif. Sprint has also talked about its plans for HD Voice.

Voice quality, of course, has been a sore spot for AT&T in recent years, though Rinne insists that past issues with dropped calls and other issues are largely over.

ďI think weíve taken that off the table in terms of a competitive challenge,Ē Rinne said.
Rinne, who oversees network technologies for the carrier, said that the carrier will also begin work on so-called ďadvanced LTEĒ which does things to reduce interference and bond together traffic from various frequencies.

AT&T is also looking to embrace over-the-top service, such as messaging services from Facebook, Rinne said. She noted all of the network programming hooks that AT&T has made available to even those creating services that rival its own.

So will that leave AT&T as just a dumb pipe?

Thereís a good business in being a pipe, Rinne said. ďI leave the dumb part off.Ē

HD Voice Will Start Coming to AT&T Later This Year - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD

Old 04-09-2013, 05:18 AM
Supreme Leader

Production of fifth-generation iPad to begin in July-August, say sources

Max Wang, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Tuesday 9 April 2013]

Volume production of the fifth-generation 9.7-inch iPad will kick off in July-August 2013, according to sources with Taiwan-based supply chain makers. Yield rates for key components, especially touch panels, will be a major concern for smooth production.
The sources pointed out that the new iPad will be thinner and lighter than the fourth-generation one and will adopt a slim bezel design, similar to that of the iPad mini.

The new iPad's display is expected to be supplied by LG Display and Sharp, while the touch panel assembly will be conducted by TPK and the ITO thin film supplied by Nitto Denko and Teijin, the sources added.

Production of fifth-generation iPad to begin in July-August, say sources